Model 61, 62, 65 heater core

bkahler

Recently I took what I thought was my pristine heater core from a model 62 heater to the radiator shop to be boiled and cleaned.  Turns out it was toast, both the tanks and the core were shot ?

So after much searching I bought one off of ebay and took that core to the radiator shop.  Well guess what, both the tanks and core are toast on it as well ?

Before I give ebay another try would anyone know of a better source for a heater core?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad how much do you trust this shop? The reason I ask is I had 2 radiators tested for my 47 truck build. They told me both were full of holes and would require a few $100 dollars to repair. So I figured I'd just go new aluminum since I'm not doing a restoration. In the meantime I wanted to test run the engine so I figured even a leaky radiator would work for short term. I put in one of the ones they tested and never saw it leak a drop. 

22 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Brad how much do you trust this shop? The reason I ask is I had 2 radiators tested for my 47 truck build. They told me both were full of holes and would require a few $100 dollars to repair. So I figured I'd just go new aluminum since I'm not doing a restoration. In the meantime I wanted to test run the engine so I figured even a leaky radiator would work for short term. I put in one of the ones they tested and never saw it leak a drop. 

In this case I actually do trust them.  The don't charge anything if they can't fix it and told me if I can find one with good tanks they can get a new core to replace a bad one.  I wouldn't be a beehive style of core but it would be a core.  They also give me back the bad cores as well.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, Jerry Roberts said:

Someone , sometime found a new replacement core by looking at parts books and comparing dimensions in an auto parts store . Perhaps a forum search will turn it up . 

Wow, that one should have been made into a sticky or something!

I've searched as much as I could through the forums and didn't see any reference like that.  

I've still got a few options available so I'm not totally out of lucky just yet.

Thanks,

Brad

1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Here are a few that I found using a google search for " universal heater cores "  www.universalpartsinc.com/shopping/?ic=10552 

Jerry,  thanks for the link.  Unfortunately none of them match mine.  

The attached pictures will give you an idea of what the core looks like.  I remember years ago dealing with a company name ACME or something similar for some old Chevy heater stuff.  I'll have to see if I can't find that information.  It's on my computer somewhere!

Thanks!

Brad

20191207_143729.jpg

20191207_143738.jpg

20191207_143800.jpg

20191207_143816.jpg

I just bought a new core off e bay from seller aimsautoparts. It is  a Spectra brand. I looked on e bay for the orientation of the of the inlet and outlet tubes. I found one with straight out tubes that  had no bends and  looked like I could make work. I then went on Spectra web sight and put in part number. It gave me dimesions for core, but not including tanks. I sent email to spectra asking for dimensions including tanks. They answered in matter of minutes. I got the core in couple of days and made a couple of small spacers to compensate for being a little short and narrow and it fit fine. Haven,t put in car yet, but see no reason won,t work. It was a bit of  a PITA, but seems like nothing is easy anymore. Cost $36.07 incl. tax and free shipping.

Good luck

18 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

That one looks unusual . You might need to buy another whole heater . And I know that you already tried that once and it didn't work out . Look for one that doesn't show any green on the core and comes with a guarantee ? 

Unfortunately the one's typically available on ebay you can't really see the core itself.  Worse, the sellers typically sell them on an "as is" basis.  

I have another heater coming this week.  If this one doesn't work out then by the time I'm done this will end up being one of the most expensive heaters ever made ?

11 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

Here is a source where you can check by overall dimensions inlet/outlet size etc. I found one that was close and made it work. 

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/air-conditioning-16770/heater-core-12446/b8e4def0b5a5

Thanks for the link.  Browsing through the pages I may have identified one that would make a suitable start for a replacement heater core.  My local shop would still need to replace the core itself with one of the correct size and also relocate the fill tubes but the tanks themselves look like they might work.

Thanks!

Brad

I thought all ya'll might like to see the differences between a Model 61 and a model 62.  Main differences are placement and orientation of the components.  If I cared to drill out a few rivets I could make the 61 look like a 62.  

One interesting feature is the 61 had doors on each opening where the 62 only had one door.  From observation I don't believe my 62 ever had the other two doors.

Oh yeah, wiring entry points are different as well.

Brad

20191208_121240x.jpg

20191208_121141x.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should close out this thread.  I bought a Model 75 off of ebay which is basically identical to the Model 62 that I started with.  The only difference I could find was the cover that said 75 instead of 62 and the motor is 12 volt.  

Fortunately this heater core turned out to be in excellent condition and the motor looks like new.  And since I'm converting to 12 volts I now have a nice 12 volt motor to use.

Onward...... :)

Brad 

• Like 2