Sad news today from Lisa Coatney

greg g

This announcement came to us this AM via Facebook.  Long time member and contributor to these pages Don Coatney has passed away.

https://www.northernindianafuneralcare.com/notices/Donald-Coatney?fbclid=IwAR3TuqNU5fKgxGaL_gQXkqyCJt-F09m80kr09pwFG5Yc61BjRq6xA6Vadh0

Our condolences go out to Lisa and Don's family. 

Don's contributions to this forum and these pages were very informative and assisted in keeping a lot of old Plymouths, Dodges, Chrysler's, and DeSotos on the road.

Wishing him smooth roads and great scenery on his final trip.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Very sad news indeed.  I've followed Don's exploits from the early days of the P15-D24 Forum, and had the pleasure of meeting him once in Port Huron at a POC meet.  Quite memorable was his ongoing racing build challenge with BlueSkies as he was finishing his P15, the way he wanted it.  Many humorous (and some not-so-humorous) anecdotes haunt these pages from Don, not to mention what must be the longest thread on the Forum, the "Interesting Photos I Have Come Across", that he started quite a few years ago.  Bummer.

• Like 2

Oh my... so sad to hear this. I met him once and he was a great gentleman. He helped me with my p15 time to time.and was very knowledgeable about these particular cars. 

My heart goes to the family during this time when freinds and family meet together for the holidays. 

Rest in peace Don.

Darren Chafin 

Could someone send me his address please by email thanks.

dchafin1122@gmail.com 

Edited by DCurrent
Forgot to ask for address
  • Like 2

Very sad to hear this, especially during the Holidays.  I never met Don in person, but did correspond with him, and was always impressed with his knowledge, posts and advice. The P15 D24 community has lost a great one. Our sincere condolences...RIP.

• Like 1

So sad to hear this news about Don.

I would like to send my condolences to his wife and family.

Don was one of those special person that had a great deal of knowledge about our Mopar family of cars and trucks.  He was someone that always had pictures for a person that was working on an issue and was able to explain to the forum members onhow to diagnosis an issue and get you started on the right track to solving the issue.

Don came from old way of doing things and was great at passing on his knowledge.  As a current society most people only want someone to do the work for them and provide them with the answers to their questions instead of doing some research, but Don was always there to help when ever he could.  

As club members we still need to support each other in all of endeavors and issues with our cars and trucks and I hope that we can all continue to support each other and continue to pass along the knowledge that we acquire as we continue to be the custodians of our antique cars and trucks.  I say custodians, because they really own us and not us owning them.  Our goal is to pass the car or truck along to another person that is interested in keeping the hobby alive.

Don we will all miss you and you updates and especially your knowledge on cars.

May you rest in peace and hope you find another car in heaven.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 7

This sucks, but was not unexpected. I had an email conversation with Don about a month ago. He said he was not doing too well.

I will miss his work and insight on these cars and engines. Don's attention to detail was well known and respected.

Don visited me three times here in San Francisco. Twice when working for a company. I was able to give him a good ride out of town on one of the trips in the Big 1947 Desoto. One of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me and the '47 came from Don when he wrote on this forum that the '47 was one of the nicest running cars of this vintage he had ever been in.

I also had the pleasure of seeing him when he did a tour of the USA with Billy. 

Over the coming years, I will miss he technical council and friendship.  My heart goes out to his family.

James.

Sad news. Don’s legacy will remain here. When we perform searches Don’s expert replies will appear. We are fortunate to have benefited from his contributions to this site. 

I too had a chance to meet Don in person on one of his San Francisco work trips.  He helped me a lot when I was starting to modify my 47 Business Coupe, and we shared a lot of information over the years.  If you ever read his series on dealing with the ECI brake pedal kit, you'll find me there as well.  Rest in peace, old friend.

Marty

Deeply saddened by the news. Those early P15-D24 threads of his and the blue P15 with the "rivalry" with Blueskies were some of the reasons that stick out in my mind in my "early" years as a mopar flathead guy. Its those reasons why I decided to stick with them and really grow to love and appreciate these old hunks of cast iron that many would yank for a new V8 powerplant. 

Its been about 6 weeks since I had a conversation with Don. In fact i was just looking for some online presence of him over the weekend.... I knew he hadn't been doing well, but I was hoping for the best for him. 

I'm glad for all the interactions I have had with him over the years and that he was glad that I became the caretaker of his beloved P15. 

Sad to hear about Don's passing. Although I never got to meet him, we shared information going back to the old forum. Don was always one of the first to answer if someone had a question and usually added a photo. I often wondered with all the picture taking, when did he find time to actually work on his car. I messaged him in September to see how he was when I saw his Dodge was for sale. He said he had just gotten out of the hospital. Don will be missed by myself and many others. Rest in peace Don. 

Living here in oz I obviously never met Don, however I felt like he was a true friend, always willing to impart his knowledge and experience to others and be a great mate and friend.......I am truly sorry to hear of his passing and send my condolences and thoughts to his family and friends..........my lasting thoughts of Don are summed up in the quote he attached on his postings here.........."My mechanic couldn't fix my cars brakes so he made the horn louder".........thanks Don I will miss you.......Andy Douglas   

Wow.. Sad to hear this.  My condolences to his family and loved ones. 

I was just browsing through some of Don's posts in search of some of those great detailed pictures of projects that he posted.  

He will be missed.

To the Coatney Family,

Sympathy is in order here for your loss. Don was a Luminary in the p15-d24 Forum here. Don was as generous with parts as he was with his knowledge.

We all have today, suffered his loss. Thank you for all you have contributed Don. 

Tom

So sad to hear this news. When I was getting my '40 on the road back in 2005 Don was the main person on this forum who steered me through all of the teething issues I was having. I have enjoyed all of his posts ever since. My sincere condolences to his family.

Phil

Very sad news about Don. He was posting on this site way back when I first came on. His documentation of his engine and transmission installation on his P15 was very well done. I knew that he was experiencing health issues and I noticed that he had not posted much recently. My sincerest condolences go out to Don's friends and family.

John Reddie