Looking for Wheel recommendations

Phreakboy

So as I slowly continue to work on my 47 deluxe, I am planning on purchasing new tires come spring and am trying to decide on whether or not to keep the original wheels and have them painted and try and find hubcaps or if I would like to do a moderate upgrade to different wheels. Car is Stock height and I am planning on purchasing radial extra wide white walls. What are peoples thoughts on this? Also if you have a picture of your car with a aftermarket wheel, I would love to see it. 

everyone has different taste in wheels tires and caps and when you are not planning to stay stock you gotta ask yourself one thing...what do "you" like and wish to have on the car.....for faster results of what others have a image search on yahoo or whatever is your favorite search engine may be in order....they range from mild to wild and attractive to just downright gaudy....

The 41 Coupe has 15x6 & 15x7 Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies with Coker Classic 195/65x15 and 235/65x15 Whitewall radials, car was lowered with 2" blocks and 1 coil cut in front.......tyres and wheels cleared inner and outer, front & back........rode well, handled well, steered great......my 40 Dodge has 14x6 and 15x10 wheels, 205x14, 275x15.......but you probably don't want to know about it........lol.......andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

P1000696 (800x600).jpg

If it were me, I'd paint/powdercoat the stock wheels and run a small original cap. Maybe even a spider cap. As far as color, I like contrasting wheels, either a darker red or even cream. Maybe drop the front an inch or two. I'm more of a custom/hot rod guy though.

18 hours ago, Dartgame said:

70's -80's dodge/plymouth police rims - 7 "X 15" fit perfect on my car with 215 70's.

I had the same "cop car" rims on my car.  They also accommodate various Mopar hubcaps.  Nice upgrade with 60's profile radials.  I'll try to find a pic.  Not so sure 'tho with wide whites.

Edited by mrwrstory
corection

On 12/4/2019 at 4:06 PM, Andydodge said:

The 41 Coupe has 15x6 & 15x7 Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies with Coker Classic 195/65x15 and 235/65x15 Whitewall radials, car was lowered with 2" blocks and 1 coil cut in front.......tyres and wheels cleared inner and outer, front & back........rode well, handled well, steered great......my 40 Dodge has 14x6 and 15x10 wheels, 205x14, 275x15.......but you probably don't want to know about it........lol.......andyd 

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

P1000696 (800x600).jpg

I like both but I do really like the look on the 41, do you know what backspacing you went with?

Edited by Phreakboy

Unfortunately I didn't keep that info and sold the car like a dope a few years ago...but the wheels were the standard offset that Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies in that width, ie, 15x6 and 15x7 came with, I am pretty sure they were "centred" for what thats worth.........probably 3" and 3.5".........I think.........lol..........andyd. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2019 at 8:16 AM, mrwrstory said:

I had the same "cop car" rims on my car.  They also accommodate various Mopar hubcaps.  Nice upgrade with 60's profile radials.  I'll try to find a pic.  Not so sure 'tho with wide whites.

I am considering possibly using these rims on my wife's 1937 Plymouth Panel Project.  A knucklehead cut out a portion of the original frame to mount "Corvair" suspension...  BOO!  I can't go back to original because of this butchery.  I am thinking Volare front clip with cop car rims and a Red Ram Hemi....

Mrwrstory, please check your PM.  

• 1 month later...

I talked to wheel vintiques about this very subject. I bought some for my 39 Chevy and I am pleased. my conversation with them if I could run beauty rims, full cover caps such as 60 Dodge or dog dish or original caps (small that came with my 47 D24 , with or with out beauty rims. Happy to say there plain steel wheels will allow you to run all of the above. The only caveat is you cant run a deep dish 'reverse" wheel because they have to reverse the bell. The deep dish is only if you are trying for a bigger positive offset such as if the rear-end is too narrow, my case under 60 inches. The wheels come with nubs and also except the SS style that Chevy used. If you go with re pop small caps the can weld a small aluminum spacer to the repop so the attach to the inside of center like a Chevy ss cap. I might add this all stated when I was sourcing a later model rear axle and was trying to find widest wheel that would fit rear wheel house. By staying close to the original width of 60 in  on my d24  it makes selection and price easier since stock offset neutral, hope this long response helps.

15 hours ago, Phreakboy said:

I think I have finally settled on chrome smooties with the baby moons, I just have to figure out the offset now.

Excellent choice....  I used 15x7 front and 15x8 rear on my 49.  I know the rear had a 4" backspace and I think the front also had a 4" backspace but I can't remember.  The 8" wheel fit perfect with no rubbing BUT my rear axle is 1.5 inches narrower than stock, front end is stock.  I ordered the wheels from Amazon but they are sold by JEGS.  

IMG_2840.JPG.83722c97da94beb40fd710eeafa4e1b8.JPG

• Like 1