Dual intakes and air cleaner options

bkahler

6 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

Photos of mine. It's hard to see here but the flanges are ground flat where they meet. 

IMG_0025-resize.jpg

IMG_0037.JPG

John, great pictures!

I can just see the flat spot in the bottom picture.  Those air cleaners actually look better than I was expecting.  

Whose intake manifold are you using?

Thanks!

Brad

1 minute ago, John-T-53 said:

Thanks!

That is the manifold and linkage setup by George Asche. 

Just yesterday I was poking around and found the link to the new AoK intake manifolds and communicated with Tim Kingsbury.  I'm now on their list for when their next production run takes place :)

On 12/4/2019 at 4:54 PM, Young Ed said:

This does make me wonder now if the car ones which are taller and have a brace to the head might also be smaller circumference..... 

The carburetor adapter I ordered arrived today.  It converts the V-band style to the top stud arrangement.  With the stud supplied it can hande about a 2-1/2" tall filter.

I've looked on Langdon's Stovebolt site and can't find an air cleaner housing that will work with this arrangement either.  They all seem to be for a 32/36 carburetor.  

20191205_180712x.jpg

6 hours ago, bkahler said:

The carburetor adapter I ordered arrived today.  It converts the V-band style to the top stud arrangement.  With the stud supplied it can hande about a 2-1/2" tall filter.

I've looked on Langdon's Stovebolt site and can't find an air cleaner housing that will work with this arrangement either.  They all seem to be for a 32/36 carburetor.  

You have to call Tom to order the correct bases. A lot of his stuff isn't on the website. That said, he's been downsizing the business in recent years, so no telling what's in store 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

You have to call Tom to order the correct bases. A lot of his stuff isn't on the website. That said, he's been downsizing the business in recent years, so no telling what's in store 

That's good to know.  I'll give him a call today.  I spent a lot of time googling last night and couldn't find any air cleaners that suited my fancy.  The ones you posted look as close to what I'd like as I've seen.  

Thanks for the tip.

Brad

On 12/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, bkahler said:

That would be interesting to know.  I just measured the two that I have and they are 8-7/8" in diameter which means the carburetors would need to be a minimum of 8-3/4" apart center to center.

The Offenhauser intake has the carburetors 7-1/2" apart center to center.  

So, does anyone know the diameters of other oil filter air cleaners that were provided over the years?

Thanks!

Brad

I don't seem to have any car ones on hand but the two trucks one I have look different from yours but still measured 8 and 9 inches.

12 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I don't seem to have any car ones on hand but the two trucks one I have look different from yours but still measured 8 and 9 inches.

Thanks for checking.  The air cleaners I have currently look like the two in this picture.

I contacted Tom Langdon and had a chat with him.  If I understood him correctly he no longer has access to air cleaners and he said something about selling his last four yesterday.  He's a rather interesting individual to talk too.  He gave me some good tips on how to set up my Offenhauser intake so it wouldn't leak.  

I've also been in contact with Tim Kingsbury about air cleaners and he may have a solution for me.  I should know more on Monday.  I'm also now on the waiting list for the next run of their AoK intake manifolds.  

Thanks,

Brad

1413021451_AirCleanerDiameter8threequarter(9).JPG.4ef047f0bb8febb65c8c15dca107a7e4.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:21 AM, kencombs said:

My tentative plan (if I ever get that far in my truck build), is to make an aluminum base plate.  Just flat 1/8" or so plate with two holes to sit on the carbs aircleaner mounting flange.

One wrinkle in this plan is the fact that my Offy manifold doesn't mount both carbs at the same height.  so a spacer under one will be needed to get the single base plate to fit correctly.

While I don't have an Offy intake manifold -  The difference in height, I believe has been mentioned to compensate for the engine and transmission inclination front to back (a few degrees) when mounted in the truck. There may not be much of a difference in height when fitted.

the carbs flange is at the same angle as the engine as it is planed to the engine and not the position it is supposedly mounted.  dual intakes should be parallel.  Mounting differences in height would be attributed to carbs/bases in use....the two carbs on the same plane would mean an air cleaner also built to same plane and not stepped....it is easier for one who is experience carb height issues to address the carb with spacer than offset build any dual setup sharing a single cleaner.  

• Like 1

I rather like the idea of a custom oval air cleaner for dual carbs. From this ad back in the day Tattersfield offered one..

1833083478_TattersfieldSpeedEquipment.jpg.1163d7d6873f64e48427fea4bb3a97fd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, T120 said:

I rather like the idea of a custom oval air cleaner for dual carbs. From this ad back in the day Tattersfield offered one..

1833083478_TattersfieldSpeedEquipment.jpg.1163d7d6873f64e48427fea4bb3a97fd.jpg

Now that's just awesome!  I see hooks all around the trailer, they must have used a tarp of some kind to cover it during transport.  

Sometime in the last couple of days while searching for air cleaners I ran across a company that makes an oval cover that covers multiple carbs.  

Thanks for sharing!

6 hours ago, T120 said:

While I don't have an Offy intake manifold -  The difference in height, I believe has been mentioned to compensate for the engine and transmission inclination front to back (a few degrees) when mounted in the truck. There may not be much of a difference in height when fitted.

A while back I laid a straight edge across the top of the carburetors and they are at the same height along the top.  I've noticed the angle of the manifold so Offenhauser must have adjusted the pad height accordingly for the carbs to be on the same plane.

a three degree tilt in not like a three degree taper.....a tilt is on the same plane, a taper drops or rises depending on the first measurement/direction compared to the second and it is linear in error x distance  as the 90 degree plane is still three degrees only x distance from the first.....

2 hours ago, tinlizzy said:

I'd like to find a dual intake for a 251 engine, those things seem to as scarce as hens teeth.

I suggest you contact George Asche or Tim Kingsbury.  I believe they are selling dual and/or triple-carb intake manifolds for the 25" engines such as yours.

I just seen this site that might work. Buy four lids, two filters, another adapter. Use a hole saw on two lids to fit the adapter flange. Try  6" x 2 1/2" round paper air filter element. Top Street Performance. SP7117 air filter, SP7512A top.

Edited by 9 foot box

10 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

I just seen this site that might work. Buy four lids, two filters, another adapter. Use a hole saw on two lids to fit the adapter flange. Try  6" x 2 1/2" round paper air filter element. Top Street Performance. SP7117 air filter, SP7512A top.

That would definitely be a cheap solution considering the most expensive part is $5!  

Last night I found and purchased two of these air cleaners from Jim Carter who sells parts for old Chevy trucks.  They fit on the Carter YF carburetor which has a 2-5/16" neck.  The adapter that I bought has a 2-3/8" neck so I think I'll be able to make it work.  They are 7" in diameter and use a 2-1/2" filter.   I'll need to replace the stud on the adapters with longer ones.  Hopefully my search is over.

Thanks!

By the way I like your moniker "9 foot box"  :)

me904.jpg

I liked the shield on my original but could not find another. I fabbed these, using hubcaps for the top, acrylic for the shield and aluminum plate for the base. The filters are K&N designed to fit a Briggs& Stratton lawn mower. Just after installing these, I discovered a beehive air filter with the proper throat that would look great next to the oil filter mounted on my firewall. I've got too much cash and time spent to swap these out though.

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kendall said:

I liked the shield on my original but could not find another. I fabbed these, using hubcaps for the top, acrylic for the shield and aluminum plate for the base. The filters are K&N designed to fit a Briggs& Stratton lawn mower. Just after installing these, I discovered a beehive air filter with the proper throat that would look great next to the oil filter mounted on my firewall. I've got too much cash and time spent to swap these out though.

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

That's a really nice set of custom air cleaners.  They look remarkably like the cleaners used on the early 50s Chevy trucks.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad

The air cleaners I ordered arrived today.  First off I'll say right up front they are definitely cheaply made, especially at $64 each plus shipping.  But they were the closest I could find to what I was looking for so I'll live with them.  I will have to do some tweaking, mainly in the mounting at the carburetor adapter.  The base opening is about 1/4" to large in diameter.  I think I'll be able to come up with some sort of semi-soft rubber isolator to take care of that issue.

I'm also going to have to figure out how to get the top cover to sit fully onto the top of the filter element.  The element is about 1/8" larger in diameter than the recessed area in the cover.  Oddly enough it's just the opposite problem on the bottom plate, the plate is about 5/16" or so to large in diameter. 

The overall diameter of the top is 6-11/16".  The overall diameter of the bottom pocket where the filter sits is 6-1/2".  The overall diameter of the filter measures 6-5/16".  I've found a Spectre filter element that is supposedly 6-3/8" in diameter so I'll probably order that just to see if it is any larger.  

Anyway, at least the air filter problem is for the most part resolved.

Brad

20191212_181639x.jpg

20191212_181745x.jpg

20191212_181712x.jpg

20191212_181556x.jpg

20191212_181527x.jpg

I may have solved the mounting problem between the lower air cleaner plate and the adapter to the carburetor.  While at Ace Hardware buying paint for the heater housing I found this in the plumbing isle.  Its a coupler to connect two 2" pipes together (hint, I've already cut one end off!).  It fit perfectly and does want I wanted it to do.  The only thing I need to verify is whether or not it will stand up to gasoline.  I'll test the leftover piece this weekend.  If it dissolves at least I know what shape fits.

Brad

20191213_112144x.jpg.94338e4dbf67dc13ce17ff84289487fe.jpg

20191213_112034x.jpg

20191213_112021x.jpg

20191213_112009x.jpg

FWIW a lady friend asked me to look at her mother's 2012 Sentra as it had the dreaded ServEngSoon light on and stalled at stop signs...I found the accordion rubber hose between the air filter and the throttle plate to be full of cracks with 2 rips in the pleats that I could put my bowling fingers through...sleeved 2 sammich bags over the hose until a replacement arrives, reset the light, and that li'l car was back in business...they wanted to know how that rubber got all messed up, and it's the heat + the vacuum that dries the rubber out which accelerates deterioration...

I have tried using plumbing rubber on engines, but the results are only good for the short term as that rubber dries out and cracks...its good for prototyping, but not for reliability testing.

When I was building a LPG prototype in college, I had to marry an off-the-shelf air filter adapter to a throttle body with a very tight budget...ultimately, I sandwiched a sheet metal aluminum spacer ring I fabricated out of scrap with some black RTV...it sealed up nicely, and months later I had to break the seal for some service, was able to clean it up and reapply the sealant :cool: