'51 Chrysler T & C Wagon

Greg51T&CWagon

I am finally getting to my wagon!  Going to swap out my stuck 251 for a combine engine I've found that will be rebuilt by George Asche. So I'm stripping the old 251 to make pulling it out easier and to reuse some parts on the rebuilt motor. Distributor, carb etc... Anticipating that removing the Fluid drive and flywheel will be interesting given the stuck motor. Any tips for doing this? BTW I'm not pulling it myself as I'm working alone and don't have a hoist, the neighborhood garage is game to pulling it and dropping the new one in for me. I want to make this as easy for them as I can. 

Greg 

It's no guarantee but I've budged a few "stuck" motors with the long prybar on the flywheel teeth trick...pulled the flywheel cover off, then rested the prybar on the bell housing to leverage against the flywheel teeth...typically this has followed pulling the head to see if there might be a chance this would work; if so, soaked with Marvel Mystery Oil for a few weeks, and if oil level dropped, I'd commence with the prybar, working back and forth to break the pistons free, then re-oiling...probably wouldn't hurt to get the valves moving with the prybar unside the valve spring area :cool:

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

This is Joe, the guy you bought the T & C from. 

It's good to see that you are starting on the project.

I hope you can accomplish finishing the car as I was unable to tackle it.

To answer your questions about removing the engine...

I am not certain on a 1951, but the earlier cars, up to 1950 I believe, had bolt in front floorboards which, once removed, gives easy access to the trans/bellhousing etc...

The easiest way to remove the engine would be to disconnect the trans first and remove it, even if you need to do it from underneath the car. This gives you plenty of room to get the engine out.

Good luck on your adventure.

Joe

• Like 1

Hey Joe, Nice to hear from you again. I'm worried about accessing the bolts that hold the fluid drive to the crankcase flange. The manual shows a special wrench to get to those. I'm worried that because the engine is stuck I won't be able to easily access those bolts? Or am i worrying about nothin'. 

BTW I finally found a gravel shield for it! 

greg

For the stuck motor - I'd pull the head off while in the car. Examine the cylinders and see how bad it is. Clean up the cylinders best you can using steel wool and maybe 600 grit paper. Soak pistons with penetrating oil. Drop the pan. Drive out/remove pistons that are in position to do so. Try prying against the block and a crank throw carefully, to loosen the  remaining pistons. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Dart, that might be what I have to do once the engine is pulled. get a little medieval on it. I did find the special wrench for removing those fluid drive mounting bolts. $15 bucks on ebay. Heading out in the morning to get the combine engine and drop it off at Asche's.

Greg

Greg,

I'm guessing finding that gravel shield would be the most difficult thing you encounter. I am glad you were able to get one.

Everything else should be pretty straightforward.

BTW. I know you posted on this forum and others about the 49 Plymouth Woody I bought. It was nice to hear your (and others) positive comments.

Keep me (us) posted.

Joe

Pull the transmission from under the car, then pull the engine with the bell housing out the front.

FYI. I do not know if this applies to 1951. But, 1949 and 1950 convertibles and station wagons did NOT have body to frame rubber. They were bolted hard to the frame with extra thick washers and that was it. The upshot of this is that you cannot get an engine and transmission together out the front. The small flange on the bottom of the transmission (M6) will not clear the cross member.  I found out the hard way when I went to put my engine and trans back into my 1949 and I have the entire front clip off. So, I had to loosed the body bolts and lift it up an inch or so...slip the engine and trans in and drop the body back down. Now that the fenders are on and all of that...there is no way the combined engine and trans will come out the front.

I would drop the trans out the bottom, and pull the rest out the front.  Then you don't have to worry about crankshaft bolts.

James

So back from the odyssey to pick up the engine and drop it off at George Asche's. 700 miles round trip. I used my 59 Apache. The engine is a 265! IND 265 13920C. Getting to Asche's was 'interesting' Super windy day so the truck was squirrely, that and the 700 lb? motor in the back made it even more so. That crazy transmission with the variable speed sheaves weighs as much as the engine i think. So I'm fried and what I thought was the last turn ended up being a 7 mile unlit winding near gravel road through the woods in the dark, Some parts were so rutted I had to slow to a crawl. But I made it. George and I had dinner nearby and shared stories then back to his place to see his shop and cool roadster then off to a hotel for much needed sleep. Anybody need a transmission for their combine harvester? Ha! 

greg

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you'd think. ? I finally just got it off. after hunting around for a tiny screwdriver. It circles the inner little shaft so you have to expand the two little nubs and with a needle nose plier then slip a tiny eyeglass screwdriver under it on the opposite side of the shaft and pry it out all with just two hands and normal old dude vision. The parts are now happily buzzing away in the ultrasonic cleaner with a mix of evaporust and simple green.

Putting the distributor back together. Thought there would be photos and diagrams online to help with the top plate arrangement, there are in general terms but this one part doesn't show up in the ones i've found. and I can't see where it goes. Any ideas? Autolite 4012 btw.

distributorunknownpart.jpg

3 hours ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

Putting the distributor back together. Thought there would be photos and diagrams online to help with the top plate arrangement, there are in general terms but this one part doesn't show up in the ones i've found. and I can't see where it goes. Any ideas? Autolite 4012 btw.

distributorunknownpart.jpg

It looks like a spring clip that goes up inside a rotor.

• Like 1