Thermostat modern replacement for 218

I have a defective or missing thermostat in my '52 B3B  with 218(Canadian).

Previously I went to the expense and trouble of buying an NOS thermostat for another flathead 6 vehicle I have. It never worked so I will not go that route again.

I was told that the 70's vintage Mopar 318 thermostats work in these engines. Anyone have experience with these or others that work?

Thanks

Lots of experience. The LA motor (273, 318, 340, 360) thermostats work fine, and can be found in the correct temperature. I run a 160 degree version in several MoPar flat sixes with 100% success. The old accordion thermostats are nice paperweights.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeffsunzeri said:

Lots of experience. The LA motor (273, 318, 340, 360) thermostats work fine, and can be found in the correct temperature. I run a 160 degree version in several MoPar flat sixes with 100% success. The old accordion thermostats are nice paperweights.

Thank you. I will plan on picking up an 160 degree unit

I am running these in my mopars. Readily available at Napa the last time I needed one. Came in both 160° and 180°. Basically a modern thermostat with an adapter ring and a giant rubber donut to seal against the housing. 

P8180001.jpg

I acquired a slew of the accordion t-stats, in original boxes...the boxes are eye candy, and the brass makes quite the shiny object, too purty to hide inside an operating cooling system...but I run my flatheads with t-stats like what Ed posted...

when I fixed up the '48, the local parts store sold me the modern version with the spacer etc that they looked up in one of their books...my memory is a little fuzzy, but I want to say that when I fixed the '49, that same Stant thermostat p# crossed over to the slant 6s, which was less than $5 back in '04 :cool:

Help me out here guys.   Young Ed shows a large rubber ring and some sort of adapter with what looks to be a normal modern thermostat.  On my 51 engine I  have the smaller thermostat housing that doesn't have the bypass built into it.  Is Young Ed's setup for the earlier motors or the later motors?

What would the part numbers be for the rubber ring and the adapter?  The thermostat I think I can figure out!

Thanks,

Brad

5 minutes ago, bkahler said:

Help me out here guys.   Young Ed shows a large rubber ring and some sort of adapter with what looks to be a normal modern thermostat.  On my 51 engine I  have the smaller thermostat housing that doesn't have the bypass built into it.  Is Young Ed's setup for the earlier motors or the later motors?

What would the part numbers be for the rubber ring and the adapter?  The thermostat I think I can figure out!

Thanks,

Brad

Good point. What I posted would be for the large cast iron housings. The stamped steel housing just needs a thermostat by itself. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Good point. What I posted would be for the large cast iron housings. The stamped steel housing just needs a thermostat by itself. 

And a gasket of course...

i was going to mention my housing is a flat piece and a pipe. Im thinking a mid 70’s stat housing might fit as well. 

Edited by Tooljunkie
Added to comment

The thermostat pictured can be replaced with a Stant 13928. But for 1949 Wraith, I use a Stant 13478 for your style housing. Those are both 180 degree. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Young Ed said:

I am running these in my mopars. Readily available at Napa the last time I needed one. Came in both 160° and 180°. Basically a modern thermostat with an adapter ring and a giant rubber donut to seal against the housing. 

P8180001.jpg

Do u have the part numbers from napa ????? That's exactly what I need...thanks steve

46 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Do u have the part numbers from napa ????? That's exactly what I need...thanks steve

I can look at home but off the top of my head I think it was a THM155 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok went to napa ....that thm155 is just the gasket and thermostat with no adapter ring ????? Where do I find the adapter ring?????? Thanks Stwve 

Looks like its THM 55. Napa online picture shows the thermostat and brass ring and the text says it includes the seal. Not sure if that's the big rubber ring or the seal to the head.

Hey Stwve...it is possible that t-stat was mis-boxed, give NAPA THM 155 another shot...I recently ordered a hydroboost for my '01 Ram 2500 and got the right box but a hydroboost for a '96 which looks identical except the firewall seal is different...returned + reordered and the correct box + part showed up...sometimes ppl make misteaks :cool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

this what I used in my 1951 canadian Dodge D-40 (230c.i.)  my housing is a flat piece and a pipe also ,  it has the housing with no by-pass. the by-pass is in the head..so I used one of those stat. 

A thermostat

GATES 33038S

180 Degree; Premium

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=100501&cc=1331772&jsn=321

or if you like this Brand better.

STANT 45478

Superstat Thermostat; 180 Degree

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=226010&cc=1331772&jsn=318

they are from Rock Auto, in the premium section and any a good brand gasket.

those stats fit so many vehicles wow.

AMERICAN MOTORS 1960-1966
BUICK 1953-1966
CADILLAC 1952-1962
CHRYSLER 1959-1978
DODGE 1950-1978
EDSEL 1959
FARGO 1951-1971
FORD 1949-1967
HUDSON 1955
JEEP 1965-1968
LINCOLN 1959-1967
MERCURY 1954-1966
NASH 1955-1956
PLYMOUTH 1947-1978
STUDEBAKER 1947-1959

On 12/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Young Ed said:

P8180001.jpg

I can't see the picture would like the part numbers thank you

2 hours ago, Jamie Anderson said:

I can't see the picture would like the part numbers thank you

I think its THM55. The picture should come back when photobucket recovers from their crash