In Memory of Don Coatney

Very sad news about Don. He was posting on this site way back when I first came on. His documentation of his engine and transmission installation on his P15 was very well done. I knew that he was experiencing health issues and I noticed that he had not posted much recently. My sincerest condolences go out to Don's friends and family.

John Reddie

May the memories of Don sustain the Coatney family during this this time. I felt that I knew him through this forum. And thanks to Don, to this day, I'll really, really search through the forum before posting a question. And when I do search, a lot of the times, I'll find some contribution that Don has made.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Very saddened to see the news of Don's passing.  I don't get on the forum much anymore, but every once in a while Don will pop into my head and I'll log into see what he's been up to.  Today was one of those days, and I just had a feeling I'd see this news.

Don was my ARCH RACE RIVAL, as we built our Plymouth engines together, and yet so far away.  We bench raced for years, one-upping each other with humor and good fun even though we had never met each other.  The forum was new then, and we had a great time getting to know all of the Plymouth guys around the country vicariously through text and jpg on P15-D24.

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/Plymouth/misc/coatneystools.jpg

In 2007, the year that the Tulsarama Buried Belevedere was to be unearthed, I set my sites on getting my car road ready to drive from Idaho to Tulsa to meet Don and have the "Big Race" that we'd been talking up for nearly 7 years.

THEBIGRACEsmall.jpg

The rest is legend, and I'm sad that Don is no longer here to brag about winning, even though it was in fact the Blueskies '50 Plymouth that took the checkered flag.  :)

tulsatrip59.jpg

tulsatrip58.jpg

It was a great ride getting to know you Don, I know that I'm not the only one who will miss your wit, life wisdom, and depth of mechanical knowledge.

tulsatrip02.jpg

All my best to Lisa and the rest of Don's family,

Your ARCH RACE RIVAL, Pete

• Like 9

I obviously haven't been on the forum in quite a while. I am shocked and saddened at the news of Don' s passing back in December. We privately messaged a few times. Always instructive and kind. Condolences to the family.

Edited by ACJCF2
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don was a great example of the spirit of this forum. He openly shared his experience and knowledge, He coached many of us, to keep our old Mopars alive and running. It is through examples like Don and many others on this forum that I have learned  how to be a productive, active, participating member here. Don has given us examples of what we need to continue  to do to help keep the old-Mopar community spirit alive for future generations. Thank you Don. Lucky for all of us, your lifetime of experience is recorded here. We only need to search for a topic and find your posts to help guide us. RIP Don. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks to our friend Don Coatney.He helped me many times.He did not kept his knowledge,but he divided with us in this forum.He will be missed here.God receive he with his infinite goodness.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am usually just a lurker but paid close attention to Don's posts and advice. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him post up in a while also. My condolences to all. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't visited this forum in a long time. It really saddens me to hear this about Don.  I never met Don in person but I learned a lot from him and am richer for having known him. He needed a dash emblem once for some project he was doing. I was really glad to send it to him and in a small way return some of the help he had passed on to me through his knowledge and advice.  I want to pass on my belated condolences to Don's family and say I was glad to have met him even though it was just through this forum.

Mark Bible 

aka Flatie 46

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just rejoined the site today  Back in 2002-2004 Don and I were building our cars at the same time Lots of talk back and forth   Such a helpful and nice guy 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I agree with you.....even phone marketers are now using a local number and I have even had them use both name and number of my doctor in order to slip a call past my anti-spam screening....would anyone with any sense deal with a person stooping this low?  YES, they are in my opinion that stupid.    Cut a couple pictures last night of Don and some of the older gang here at my house years ago.  Don was a good friend, miss talking with him.  Contacted a couple of the other members just to keep in touch. 

20 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

FB tells me that they are going to close my report and follow up with DC directly once they've reviewed the account...oy vey :rolleyes:

At least you were a little more successful than I was. My report was returned with sorry we don't see anything wrong here.

6 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I had an unwelcome friend request this morning from an individual using DC's name and picture...reported it but it still makes me mad that someone is out there dishonoring the man with this kind of fraudulent activity ?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100060816017435

I got one too. I just ignored it as I knew it wasn't him. 

Sad to hear that some scammer is using DC's info,Brian...Thank you for bringing it to our attention. This is the only forum I frequent. I am not on Facebook, however I'm not a total recluse - there are a few forum members I am in contact with... I would suggest though, if a forum member wishes to contact me directly by landline, maybe give me a heads-up with a PM beforehand.?

Edited by T120

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I got one too. I just ignored it as I knew it wasn't him. 

If ya see something, say something...FB can't crack down on fraud without a little help from ppl who know better ??