How many axle splines on a 53 B-4-C?

John H.

How many axle splines on a 53 B-4-C? I am getting mixed messages in trying to find an answer. Some claim 10 spline axles were replaced by 15 spline axles in 53. Thanks.

According to my parts catalog, 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks have only 1 part number across all B-Series generations. P/N 113503. Calls for quantity 2, so left and right are also the same. This tells me that they didn’t change the axle shafts at any time during the B-Series run. Maybe they changed for the C-Series? 

B and C models had different spline counts. Really need to pull the existing and make sure the 3/4 axle wasn't swapped at some point with a 1/2 ton axle assembly.

Yes, I know this from experience! ?

1393887 is the new 16axle spline shaft part starting in 1953 model trucks.

This for all 1953 B4 series 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

I sold a set about 5 years ago..a man said he had a heck of a time finding them.

1 hour ago, P15-D24 said:

B and C models had different spline counts. Really need to pull the existing and make sure the 3/4 axle wasn't swapped at some point with a 1/2 ton axle assembly.

Yes, I know this from experience! ?

49 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

1393887 is the new 16axle spline shaft part starting in 1953 model trucks.

This for all 1953 B4 series 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

I sold a set about 5 years ago..a man said he had a heck of a time finding them.

That’s interesting. Could my parts book be wrong? It shows both B and C trucks using the same axles, and no variants for series years. 

E109FCA1-12FE-47C3-A4B1-649FD07E3F7F.jpeg.2b17e4a0fcd626b889793a086c0f6ad6.jpeg

I could post a pic if anyone need it.

I've got an old dealer's parts book, and a majority of pages denote printing December 31, 1952...but on the drive shaft page, it says April 6, 1953 supersedes December 31, 1952...it also shows that the B-4-C uses 10-spline, but the 16-spline is used after S# 83388224 Det. and 85515400 S.L....flipping through various sections, this particular book has revised pages into 1955...so everybody is sorta right :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

Yeah./..

Another one of those up to or after situations....

This #1393887 is used up through 1956 too.

B4 16 Spline.JPG

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

That’s interesting. Could my parts book be wrong? It shows both B and C trucks using the same axles, and no variants for series years. 

E109FCA1-12FE-47C3-A4B1-649FD07E3F7F.jpeg.2b17e4a0fcd626b889793a086c0f6ad6.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.06.55 PM.jpg

3-32-1 ...is Drive Shafts

It should be Axle Shafts?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thank you for your time in helping me. I have the drums off and will work on yanking an axle to be sure of the spline count. I'll also work on same for the 48 Chrysler axle and post my findings.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I had a post sometime back about parts washers. I thought I'd buy my own and wasn't sure if I would go water or solvent based. (I heat my shop with an interior wood burning furnace.) The thought was that the solvent based units would work better, though getting rid of the dirty fluid would present a major problem. Well, I ran across a Safety Kleen driver while we were both having lunch at a local eatery. Turns out I now rent a new 30 gal. drum unit with a good sized tub for $130.00 per 6 months. That's $22.00 a month and someone else changes the fluid and filters. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Your Chrysler will have 10 splines for sure.....started this hobby on those cars when I was a wee boy?