Old Gasoline Pumps, Gut, or not to Gut???

Skrambler

Maybe it is because I ate too much turkey yesterday, or some other strange reason but I have a question to set out to those who dare to take the opinion challenge!

I have an old Gilbarco gas pump (1950's? Early 60's?). It is badged with an older, but probably reproduction glass globe and porcelain Texaco Brand plaque. Looks to me as if it has been repainted, red again at some point a few decades ago so the vintage look is for sure there. This unit looks to have ALL the "guts" inside of it, just like it would have had when it was actually being used. My question is, am I CRAZY for removing any or all of this super heavy parts that are hidden behind the pumps outer panel?  I know it would make life a lot easier to move this item once all of these or most of these parts are removed, but, I don't ever want to hear "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU THROUGH ALL THOSE PARTS AWAY!!!"

I will NEVER be using this pump for anything other than display, and I am not really interested in selling it anytime soon but I do not want to do anything that I may regret in the future. On the other hand, if the internals are basically worthless I do not want to keep them around either!

Asking for your thoughts before I continue.

Thanks in advance for your input!  

those guts are really a boat anchor in disguise.  Most all units that you see for sale are void of the very heavy assembles or bulk stripped just allow enough base weight to prevent easy tip over.   I had a set of mid 50's Sinclair pumps....those suckers were heavy...always wanted a set....once I got them....could not part with them fast enough....lol

I took most of the heavy parts out of mine.

78242D58-07BF-4CD2-8974-74F30E552FDA.jpeg

Edited by Furylee2
  • Like 1

all depends on if YOU want to keep it for what YOU want....or you are worried about what a potential buyer might want....then you have to decide what you want to do.  Regardless of what you do, DON'T throw anything away JIC.