My Traditionally inspired ‘40 Chrysler

ThriftyT

I was sorting throw a box of old air cleaners thinking I had a similar spare one to donate but only found some without the ridges on top and the breather holes on the side are different as well.

do you still need one?  If so, Ill keep looking

On 11/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, homer41 said:

I was waiting for the final fitting of the manifold, I thought  maybe if it came off a truck it might be a 23 inch engine, is yours a 25 inch engine?

typically small trucks had the 23 and the big haulers had the 25

On 12/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, 40desoto said:

I was sorting throw a box of old air cleaners thinking I had a similar spare one to donate but only found some without the ridges on top and the breather holes on the side are different as well.

do you still need one?  If so, Ill keep looking

Why did Mopar use so many different air cleaners.  I have a shelf full of them, and none of them match one another...   Sigh

On 12/1/2019 at 11:07 AM, ThriftyT said:

Darn.  Thanks for trying.    But yes I am still looking 

All of us with multi carb set ups are....  

BTW, I admire your work, nicely done.  I can't wait to see the car when it's finished.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ThriftyT said:

Well I went back and read my post.   The air cleaner I used was ‘35-‘36 ford.   My bad. 

Im surprised that ford air cleaner fir the carter BnB carbs that you are using.  Any modifications to make them fit?

Thrifty T is it possible to get a couple of measurements from you.

Though this manifold would probable never fit on our right hand drive sets ups I am interested to see what the spacing between the carbs are compared to the more central location of the aftermarket and DIY set ups.

1 = centre from hole to hole.

2 = face to the approx. centre of the carby. 

1289735889_num12.jpg.f99ce127d3b9830209eb593174d0635f.jpg

Tony

2 hours ago, Tony WestOZ said:

Thrifty T is it possible to get a couple of measurements from you.

Though this manifold would probable never fit on our right hand drive sets ups I am interested to see what the spacing between the carbs are compared to the more central location of the aftermarket and DIY set ups.

1 = centre from hole to hole.

2 = face to the approx. centre of the carby. 

1289735889_num12.jpg.f99ce127d3b9830209eb593174d0635f.jpg

Tony

Had to put pics in last post.   Not sure why it flipped upside down 

Tony.......this manifold, that Thrifty T has  would fit any of the Oz 25" engines as there is no issue with the intakes fitting, however an aftermarket exhaust either steel tube or cast iron twin outlet such as Fentons may well hit on the RHD steering box and/or the pedals when they follow thru and then hit the rear cast iron header...the twin Offy intake I had, for admittedly the 23" engine, would have been fine on the RHD 41 Plymouth but USA sourced headers would not have cleared the 41 steering box and pedals which was why I had the split exhaust made from a pair of stock Plymouth exhaust manifolds and planned to have the very short front pipe as shown........all to clear the RHD steering box...............the rear exhaust outleted manifold shown was a stock Plymouth one the same as that used on the car so I knew it would clear the pedals.........there is ao third style of Plymouth exhaust manifold that has the outlet at number "7" cylinder, if that makes sense and seems to have been used here in Oz on Mopars with pendant pedals from the mid 50's onwards...........lol............andyd     

IMG_1387.JPG

Thank you very much Thrifty T for those measurements. From some rough measurements I took of one of my 25" blocks these 265 truck manifolds have the carbs spaced about 1" wider than the after market or DIY manifolds for these bigger blocks.  It also pushes out from the engine about 1 1/2" more. Not good for a RHD truck.

Andydodge, I do realize that the manifold will bolt to a 25" block. The problem is that with the trucks things don`t run the same as the cars. The exhaust manifold does have problems with the peddles that push through the floor.  Common sense would be to fit later model hanger peddles as I have a set and they basicly bolt straight in.

With these 265 inlet manifolds it looks like the gearbox shift linkages and maybe part of the steering column would be sitting where the rear carby sits. Not real good.

Reminds my of my brothers late 50`s F100. When you put the boot into it the engine rocked over and the extractors jammed the steering column making it hard to steer. Crapped myself the first time I drove it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like the winter scene photo. I have it as the screen saver on my laptop.

• Thanks 1

Not a lot of progress.  Will be fixing the cracked exhaust manifold This week, and finishing the exhaust this coming weekend.  Should have all manifolds done and mounted.   Then can start on carb spacers, linkage, and fuel line plumbing.  
 Mounted up my refurbished heater lines, and made some small stainless tabs to keep the copper one from sagging.  

AAF4A73D-3EF8-4CD0-9529-BE49CC55E331.jpeg

E965B98E-1258-4A4E-89B4-950A217B92C9.jpeg

• Like 1

You might consider using some cushioning with the clamps to avoid the possibility of vibration causing chaffing which could compromise the tubing. Either cushioned clamps or some rubber fuel line around the tubing under the clamps should work. Also, be careful when working under the hood with a hot engine....those exposed tubes could inflict a nasty burn! There are reasons why rubber hoses are usually used for heaters.....   :)

7 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

You might consider using some cushioning with the clamps to avoid the possibility of vibration causing chaffing which could compromise the tubing. Either cushioned clamps or some rubber fuel line around the tubing under the clamps should work. Also, be careful when working under the hood with a hot engine....those exposed tubes could inflict a nasty burn! There are reasons why rubber hoses are usually used for heaters.....   :)

they definitely get warm, but so does the rest of it. Yea I plan on keeping an eye on them, Will most likely put in some kind of cushion. 

45 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Those do mimic what mopar installed for the factory dual heater setups. My 48 had rubber hoses when I got it and the metal tubes are a great upgrade. Without them there are heater hoses everywhere and they are constantly in the way under the hood. 

Before

Edscar042.jpg

After

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

8 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Those do mimic what mopar installed for the factory dual heater setups. My 48 had rubber hoses when I got it and the metal tubes are a great upgrade. Without them there are heater hoses everywhere and they are constantly in the way under the hood. 

Before

After

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

That is a very clean installation....nice.   :)