Cracked flywheel

jgreg53

what are you saying as cracked....if looking at the surface the disc rides on....these are usually not deep cracks and once ground with a stone....not cut on a lathe or brake turning tool...these light surface cracks are removed....be sure you get the flywheel ground and not just turned...very important to do this right...turning will not remove the hard spots...they will smooth the surface to they eye...but the hardened hot spots are still a bit proud and well, still hardened...will case problems with your newly installed components...

A lot of oil in that clutch cover....and maybe oil getting into the friction material....slippage of the clutch and hot spots...

You ought to give it a try.

Naw....just adding some pre holiday humor ha ha!?

Your favorite experienced machine shop man (or woman) can advise you.

Seek their advise for a honest answer.

if you can get another, go for it.  most 4 hole 217 s are the flywheels are the same........ tooth count changed in 57  which had an 8 hole flywheel.

For me unless a replacement flywheel was NOS or you could see that it was unmarked I would always get a flywheel skimmed or ground by a proper shop.........and would NOT bother installing it until this had been done......unless you like redoing the job again soon...........no offence Greg but was the shop that did the work 4 years ago a butcher shop?.........not good mate..........I know its a PITA but get it done properly this time, you'll be happier............that flywheel might be saveable yet............andyd. 

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You ought to give it a try.

Sorry jgreg53 but this did bring a smile to my face. 

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Your favorite experienced machine shop man (or woman) can advise you.

Seek their advise for a honest answer.

11 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

For me unless a replacement flywheel was NOS or you could see that it was unmarked I would always get a flywheel skimmed or ground by a proper shop.........and would NOT bother installing it until this had been done......unless you like redoing the job again soon...........no offence Greg but was the shop that did the work 4 years ago a butcher shop?.........not good mate..........I know its a PITA but get it done properly this time, you'll be happier............that flywheel might be saveable yet............andyd. 

Have to agree with these two. Nothing worse than having to redo the job again as you are now painfully aware.

Tony  

I have read posts on this forum from members who have had very good experiences from Tennessee Clutch and Supply Co in Nashville I believe. You may want to contact them about your flywheel problem. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck to you.

John R

I think you are jumping the gun on buying an item without a visual and especially if you are not aware of what fits.  There must be a machine shop in your area that will inspect and quote you the cost of proper resurface of your flywheel.  You car your money but even if you get a new or used flywheel, odds are after all these years it will need some attention due to surface rust from storage.  Where are you going to take that one for cleanup?  

MUST be surface ground, if turning in a lathe you may as well get a 1" flat bastard file and do it yourself.....lol.......will end up with the same result, ie..........having to get the job done again.............lol...............andyd