Rewiring ‘48 Desoto S11

rcumba11

this what I found,,

Female 5/16" wide terminal with locking tab.
Wire Size 10/12 AWG
Also used for H6024 headlight sealed beams.
Look at the picture , below, you should have a looking tab on the connector and the tab should should point toward the inside of the 3 pins seal beam connector ( pic 3 )

locking tab.jpg

looking tab.jpg

looking tab 1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Lepic56, 

so very sorry that I did not see this until now, but finally figured it out! I am now stuck on the backup light! I am trying to find the backup light switch!you would think it was where the shifter functions, but not so! At least I cannot find it! Wiring is frustrating at times!

Thanks,

Roger

lepic56:  Our first question that anyone that is trying to help you figure the wiring should be asking if you have a service manual for the car and if you do then you should go the  electrical 

section in the service manual and there should be a wiring diagram.

The service manual is the basic manual that every antique car owner needs to have a copy of just for reference purposes and it also will help guide you through some of the basic steps on how to repair and diagnose issues.

So if you do not have a service manual than we all would suggest that you obtain a copy. you can get reprints on ebay and some times as swap meets.  This is the basic manual that you need to start with.  Also keep it in the car because if you are on the road and the car breaks or a wire gets disconnected then you have a reference book to at least provide some assistance. If on the road you might not have any access to the internet to ask questions or even get InTouch with one of the forum members.

I am nt trying to be negative and not answer your question but every car is wired differently. so if you had some prior information then you would be able to supply more information to the members of the Forum and would get a better answer. 

I have been in this hobby for 32 years and if you want to own an antique car then you need to educate yourself first. Also remember that most new mechanics of today have not been schooled on these cars and are not first technitions that just connect and plug in the car to a diagnostic computer to tell them what the issue and then they go to a service document or to a link on their computer at their work station.

The more info that you have the better you will be to fix an issue.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rich,

you have provided many answers to me over the past 8-9 yrs! You have always been helpful! I do have a shop manual and a large laminated schematic which helps a great deal! However they both show a switch, but no idea of where it is! I have also run into a taillight problem in that I have the taillight/ signal light sockets that are double filament and a hole to receive another snap in socket that Is not shown in anything I have! About to decide to connect it to the corresponding signal wire, since it is originally does not have a very bright turn signal!

it is good to hear from you.... negative or positive! I have been through melanoma, prostate and heart surgery since I started this project and am trying to complete it before the Lord calls me home!???✝️

Thanks,

Roger