LED LIGHTS

pflaming

Can an  LED light bar be used to replace individual lights? The obvious answer is a qualified yes because they are used on off road vehicles. But can they be legal on the public roads? 2. Can they be dual filament for hi / lo lighting. 

• Like 1

HI

Although laws are different in every state or country, there are some basic rules that are used almost everywhere. Anywhere you drive, you'll be required to have two headlights located on the front of your vehicle.  But the MOT web site of your area should give you plenty to read on that subjet!! lol!!

I think the federal regulations require a specific beam design for headlights.  beam spread up and to the sides is to be controlled to limit glare to oncoming traffic.  That is in addition to the max brightness allowed, height and other details. A little research on the NTHSA site will provide more info than you ever wanted.

And that's only federal, each state will have more.  In addition the federal portion will be changing in the not too distant future to allow for new types of 'adaptive lighting'.

FWIW, I plan to use LED lighting packaged in a standard 7" round container that replaces sealed beams.  Those are available from several makers.

• 11 months later...

Before spending your hard earned money, I suggest you watch this video. It is very informative and could save you lots of trouble and expense down the road.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/giving-your-old-car-led-headlights-usually-isnt-worth-it/

I intend to drive my 1941 Chrysler Royal quite a bit and for safety's sake was going to update my lighting. This video gave me a lot to think about. 

Duke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1