Gas tanks and fuel pumps.

kencombs

I hijacked someones thread and buried this in it.

Speaking of electric fuel pumps.  A lot of 90s small pickups and 4wds have TBI systems that use an in-tank pump.  That type of vehicle also has gas tanks that are easily adaptable  to older trucks.  So, we could get a good pump and tank in one trip to the auto recycler.  I have one complete that came from a '95 Geo Tracker.

Most of those TBI systems run continuously and have a regulator in the 30-50 lb range  so delivering the low pressures we need will be no problem at all, assuming we have a good regulator with output pressure to match our carbs to install.

Anyway, that's my theory and tentative plan, unless someone knows of a reason to avoid them.  What'cha think?

Then I realized that someone looking at a starting issue thread may not see it.

So copied and pasted here.  The only issue I foresee is that a lot of the tanks are smaller than our trucks had originally, like the Tracker mentioned above.  That one is only 12 gal.  but they are cheap and there is plenty of room to mount 2 if desired.  The continuous flow of fuel in the tank return would almost guarantee an end to vapor lock.

Comments???

I have gone both ways...modifying a TBI thank delivery to run low pressure and then taking an original older metal tank and modifying it for high output internal and also external pumps and return line added using the factory TBI mounted regulator....depends on the year tank you use and or injection if you are running injection or aux fuel pump.   If you dealing with Mopar tanks...I think the 93 was the first of the non-return fuel line as the regulator is now in the tank all in one unit.  

Great topic!

i just dropped my fuel tank, its junk. 
so i grabbed the plastic tank out of a mid 70’s dodge full size pickup. 
i will move the front tank mount back and re shape it to fit top of tank. Filler ends up just behind rear mount. under box floor. 
its not as deep as original, but longer. Easy modification, and as i think about it, its possible the filler neck could be moved, its screwed to tank. I may consider it. 

as far as other tanks, gm pickup  tanks 87 to 96 used a low pressure  pump 14 psi if i recall. Tbi equipped. 

dodge ram up to 93 were also tbi,also low pressure pumps. 
94 and up using magnum engines 

ran at 70 +/- psi. When the returnless system went bad the pressure can reach 175 psi. Regulator was replaceable as its external on top of tank, but its been 20 or so years since i replaced one. 

i started in the garage business in the 90’s so this sort of thing is right in my wheelhouse.