B1B no longer starting

andrewj7

My B1B will no longer start. It had been idle for a few months. I got a new battery as the old one had died very quick after charges the last time I used it.  
now I can’t start it.  I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it fires up for a few seconds. Then dies. 
The spark plugs seem okay, fuel is going into the carb.  

anyone got any ideas?  

Sounds like fuel issue. 
key off, remove air cleaner and watch inside carb as you cycle throttle linkage, likely its gummed up as mentioned. Will need to be removed and cleaned. 
there is no magic spray to solve this. 
My opinion, but starting  fluid Is not the best thing for gas engines..

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

Sounds like fuel issue. 
key off, remove air cleaner and watch inside carb as you cycle throttle linkage, likely its gummed up as mentioned. Will need to be removed and cleaned. 
there is no magic spray to solve this. 
My opinion, but starting  fluid Is not the best thing for gas engines..

Just curious as to why starting fluid isn't a good idea for gas engines. I've used starter fluid on a stubborn '56 Ford for 35 years. When that car sits for 4 weeks at a time, it just won't start any other way. Installing a new carb helped for awhile, then it was back to using starter fluid. Thanks for the insight. ?

Washes oil off cylinder walls. It has no lubricant. I have used ether to wash oil off of a part,leaves it bone dry. 
a squirt bottle of gas with a little 2 cycle oil is my go to for stubborn starting engines. 

the small bottle that friction modifier comes in is handy. Flip top to close off. And can slide clear tubing over the tip for hard to reach places, to fill a bowl for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1