DeSoto seats

BobDeSoto

the front bolt through the seat base and through the floor pan and backed beneath with a reinforcement plate.  Getting to the hardware to allow removal will probably be easiest with the seat cushion lifted out of the metal cradle that is the lower seat base.  Rear seats will spring lock in some applications and will require a bit of knee pressure to push it and lift up over the retainer, one each side of center or either will have a bolt securing the retainer bails on each side of the tunnel.  Rear seat backs also should have a bolt securing these on each side of the tunnel about center to the distance to the interior panel.

Bob Desoto;  Next years National Desoto convention and car show will be held in Milwalki Wis.  So this might be near your home. You  need to be a member of the NDC to show your car.

Here is the link to the NDC: https://desoto.org/

I have been a member for well over 30 years.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

3 hours ago, BobDeSoto said:

Do I have to remove the front bolt to lift out the cushion?

As I recall on the 53 DeSoto my folks had (in my brother's 'collection' now), you just push back and down on the front of the cushion to unhook the cushion frame from hooks that stick up from the floor (under the seat, perhaps 10 inches or so inward from the outer sides).

The front seat has either 2 or 4 bolts on each side of the front seat, all should be accessable from each side tho you may have to lift the seat base out or push down & back at the same time to get to some that maybe only accessable once the seat base is out.........back seat base should lift out after pushing down and back at the same time at the front of the rear seat base..........the back of the rear seat should have some bolts holding the seat back to the body/trunk frame or possibly small feet that fit into slots in this body/trunk frame and held in place with a couple of bolts that maybe from the trunk or from the interior side of the seat back..........andyd   

Edited by Andydodge
more info

I look under the front seat and there us a leg at the front corner about four inches tall with two bolts visible towards the front that go down into the floor.

I don't see a similar leg at the back.

Bob:  Here isa suggestion contact the 1951 NDC model coordinator. They are very helpful with qustions and you would be getting someone that owns a 15 Desoto.  Hopefully this will get you the correct answer and help you to remove your seats.

Rich Hartung

Bob........have you undone those 2 bolts on each front corner?........there should be something similar at each side of the rear corner but maybe only visible once the seat base is lifted up and out of the seat frame.......does it look like a "stock" front seat?.....do you have a pic you could post?.......it should be a split bench, ie, one single base that lifts out of a seat frame that has a pair of split individual forward folding seat backs which are bolted into the actual seat frame............pics?..........andyd