Vacuum wiper conundrum

tom'sB2B

I focused my attention briefly this weekend on my vacuum wipers. I replaced my intake with a duel carb aluminum one and I've lost my vacuum port. I'm wondering if I could use one of the two carbs as a vacuum source. The front one is used for the distributor advance. I'm wondering if I could use the rear carb for the wiper vacuum. Thoughts?

• Like 1

you would only have  vacuum at this port when the throttle is partly open.  The best solution is to drill and tap a port  near the center point of the manifold.

in the absence of a manifold vacuum port for these old cars the maker made provisions for added vacuum with a twin function fuel pump, pumping fuel to the carb and its second function was that of an aux. vacuum pump...one also will benefit greatly with a reservoir and check valve in place for those periods of low vacuum like going up a small hill or WOT acceleration...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

in the absence of a manifold vacuum port for these old cars the maker made provisions for added vacuum with a twin function fuel pump, pumping fuel to the carb and its second function was that of an aux. vacuum pump...one also will benefit greatly with a reservoir and check valve in place for those periods of low vacuum like going up a small hill or WOT acceleration...

Or, do like some diesels, add a vacuum pump, either electric or piggy-backed on the alternator.  I have an alternator from a Mitsubishi truck with an attached vacuum pump.  They use a vacuum brake booster so use those as diesels have not intake vacuum, ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I got caught in a downpour last night on a hilly road - the wipers stalled several times, which I expected.

You mention in this thread that an auxiliary vacuum pump could replace the manifold vacuum for the wipers. Was wondering what type of new pump could work or would it be more cost effective or efficient to replace the vacuum motor with an electric one?  I could only find 12 volt pumps online and my B3C runs on the original 6 volt positive ground system. I found some old Trico vacuum pumps on Ebay (a couple were 6 volt), but they want more for them than you would pay for an electric wiper motor conversion. I think I saw where Trico made a belt driven pump but couldn't find one with a Google search.

-Roland

Edited by minicooper
broken sentence structure

The vac.wipers on my '49 1-ton acted as expected on the local hills, so I found a 6V wiper system in a parts truck, fixed it up and swapped them out...haven't looked back, that electric motor just purrs along while climbing steep hills in a summer downpour :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were dual type fuel/vacuum pumps made for almost every old car with vacuum wipers I cannot remember the part number myself but on Ebay is this example but way high price.

Maybe someone else can post the part #.

Plan to rebuild any one on EBay even if it says old rebuilt because the fuel diaphram  will not last and need almost immediate replacement.

Plan to see a rebuildable in the $40-50 range and rebuild kits about $60-80.

Link- 

223707436330.html

• Thanks 1