How many of these cars are still on the road?

Conn47D24

There is no "registry" that I am aware of, but then again, one would have to register their car with a registry for that to work in the first place.  But, depending on just how curious you are about the numbers, your State's motor vehicle component (DMV, BMV, etc.) may entertain a query about how many are registered in that State.  They may not divulge who the owner is, or their private info, but they may tell you how many 1947 Dodge sedans are registered in the State.  I went with a friend to register a 1945 Ford F-1 in Texas many years ago, and they flat out told him he had the only one registered in the State without him even asking.  I asked Maine BMV how many 1937 Terraplane 4dr sedans are registered here, and there's only one...mine.  I had to go to the main office in Augusta, the town office where I registered it doesn't have the resources to look that up.  Not that there aren't other operable 1937 Terraplanes in ME, mine is just the only 4dr sedan registered.  Some States are tight with that kind of info, some aren't. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert
Typo
  • Thanks 1

to my knowledge there aren't any registers for these models for people to log their cars.....about every register of low production vehicles I am aware of have but a handful of cars and owners and thus at best is still a WAG as to survivors....personally I have never been a big fan of registers...

I have John Lee's Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990, under Plymouth 1946 to 1948 AND inclusive of the early 1949 First Series cars which it states are include din the total made it lists the following.......

4dr Sedan       514,986

2dr Sedan       125,704

6P Coupe        156,629

3P Coupe           31,399

Convert              15,913

4dr Wagon         12,913

Chassis Only        5361

Total Built 862,287

My own gut feeling regarding the numbers of our old cars that are still on the road is MUCH less than a 10-15% figure.......if anything I'd be surprised if the total number of 1946-48 Plymouths in the USA on the road was more than point five, ie.5%.......ie, HALF OF ONE PER CENT........that is 4311.........thats Four Thousand Three Hundred and Eleven 1946 to 1948 Plymouths.......on the road?......thats a lot of 1946 -48 Plymouths.........how many have you guys seen in one place lately................lol.............as a comparision......I doubt whether here in Oz there are more than 20-30 1940 Dodges on the road here in Oz, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the total is 20 or less..........my Oz 2 cents worth .....which is about 1.5 US cents worth.............lol........Andy Douglas.   

So many made but yes odds are low % remain active.  We see junkers and parts cars on ebay, local ad's all the time.

Probably more NON-running than running.

I'll see if I can have any luck with Connecticut DMV.  Not usually a user friendly branch of Govt. LOL !

So much time spent with thoughts of my project it just struck me as curious.

Thanks all.

• Like 1