53 Dodge truck starts then quits when accelerator pedal is pushed

Maybe the accelerator pump isnt working. With the engine off and the air cleaner removed, have you checked to see if there is any fuel spraying into the throat of the carb when you manually work the throttle from the closed position? If its not working , perhaps the acc. pump linkage has come undone or something has become plugged up in the circuit.  Just a thought.

John 

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

Does it do cold only or even when warm?

My 50 Plymouth did the same (dying off idle) after sitting and the ball for accel.  pump was stuck and jet for above idle fuel (under the plug- lead?) but my carb is a B&B , yours may be different. My car sat for about 6 months without being started when problem started.

Just some thoughts-

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

Tried again today with no luck.  Starts with Starter Fluid, then will idle for a few seconds then dies.  

Removed air cleaner and watched carb when trying to start.  Did not find the float rising and found some leakage from carb body so removed carb. 

Found some potential leak areas on gaskets so will replace those.

Removed carb body from fuel bowl and needle pin is clean and moving easily (fell out when tipped fuel bowl)

Thinking now that lack of fuel in carb is due to fuel pump not working.

Was not able to work on fuel pump today. (truck is stored 30 min away)

Unless the forum believes otherwise I will test the fuel pump next.

sounds like you are being methodical in your diagnostic procedure...I had a truck become disabled because of a clogged fuel line halfway between the tank and the fuel pump, blew out a pea-sized glob of goo...the giveaway was that the fuel pump bowl would not fill up, but when I filled the bowl manually, the truck started up and ran fine, until that bowl couldn't fill up fast enough...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...