Overdrive kick down switch carb mount picture

greg g

Here is a photo of the bracket and switch on my 53 Plymouth. Not the best angle but hope this helps. It was all I had in my photo file.

IMG_2106 (2).JPG

IMG_5026 (2).JPG

Edited by 61spit
Found another photo
  • Like 2

I think they are the original Fenton dual intake ones. I had them re-chromed as the old chrome was falling off. They had the old horsehair filter medium (at least I think that is what it was) that you washed out and re-oiled. Will be looking for a paper filter that will fit. I found the intake, air cleaners and exhaust headers as a package deal on ebay a number of years ago. Cleaned them all up rebuilt the single carburator I had and found a matching one and rebuilt it as well.

• Like 2

I did something a little different and it has been working without fail for over a decade...

I made a new linkage arm using to joints and threaded rod. The outer sleeve is just stainless tubing cut to length when done for looks. The steel stop on the arm comes back when you throttle up. When at WOT it presses on the switch. I mounted the switch to a bracket that bolts to the side of the head. The wires then go directly back to the fire wall.

This set up then allows you to use whatever carb you want. I use one that does not have the electronics on it. Since I still use the fluid coupling with the 3-speed and OD, and the the weight of the Big Desoto, I had stop sign throttle issues. If you press on the gas and pull out fast it wanted to stall. I used a later carb that had a mechanical dashpot that I could adjust to get it correct.

This has worked great. I could make it nicer looking...

James

Kickdown.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There are some errors on your diagram.

For one the IGN terminal should connect to the Ignition coil points side terminal.

Its function is to interrupt the ignition during shifting to soften the CLUNK you would get without it.

Also the throttle kick down switch has four terminals (some have only three).

If you send me a PM with your email I'll send you a PDF of the manual (18 mg this site limits you to 1)

That will get you on the right track.

If you are talking about my schematic, it is as built and functioning well with kickdown not installed.  I have the manual for the r 10.  I never do a Wide Open Throttle kickdown so the drive line slacking through momentary ground of the coil is not an issue. Thanks for the offer.