Looking at a 1942 plymouth deluxe

Radarsonwheels

Howdy!

I’ve been posting on the truck side here for a bit but I always loved old cars. I am going to look at a 1942 4 door plymouth deluxe next weekend and I don’t know a lot about them. 

I had a ‘54 C-series 3/4 ton with a 230 & 3 on the tree and I’m a decent mechanic but I never messed with one of these cars. 

I can swap in driveline parts if need be and even do a front clip or whatever but I would really like to just maintain the car and drive it. The body and interior look really straight and nice with (original?!) black or dark blue paint and the stock gut, nice chrome. A really nice car. 

Are there any dealbreakers with these? Parts that go bad and are unobtainable?  I don’t even know it they are IFS or straight axle. Any gotchas to look for? 

He’s got it valued at 7k which seems cheap for a car with great paint and body but it is a 4 door so I dunno...

I am hungry for ANY info- good, bad, whatever you all know or have to warn me about or brag about. 

Thanks!

radar

E3619B8A-9BCB-4956-8B4A-7BBB04C0508B.jpeg

Edited by Radarsonwheels

These old Mopars are fun, tough as nails, and easy to maintain. There are no "unobtainium" parts. They made millions of these Mopars over the decades and so many parts are interchange-able and available. Used parts are easily had right in your back yard if you keep your eyes open. The support community here is great.  In my opinion there is not much that needs to be updated on these old cars. Just look after them. If you are decent mechanic you'll have little trouble. Properly maintained brakes and the 6V system, are both adequate and will work just fine. Remember that these cars were built when 50 MPH was considered pretty fast. There were no interstates.  Nobody could stop on a dime. These cars today are owned for pure enjoyment. 

"But its a 4-door" - Some of the lowest prices to get into a great hobby, a 4-door. Fun with friends and family comes with the 4-door. Every one should have one 4 door in their collection. Why? Because lots of friends and family want to jump in and go for a ride. 

Get out and go for cruises. Be prepared to be meeting lots of new folks, and answering lots of questions. I am having trouble coming up with many negatives to buying the Plymouth you showed us. Get the best price you can, and get it home and get on the tools. Install some seatbelts and smile your life away every time you go for a cruise and some ice cream.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7k is way too much for a 4 door. I know a lot of guys buy and build them but they still aren't worth that much. Doesn't mean they are any more or less of a good car, just not as valuable. As a matter of fact, I am going to look at a 50 Plymouth business coupe tomorrow. Running, driving, nice body original paint. He's asking 4k. 

• Thanks 1

If anything getting a 46-48 P15 is probably one of the best deals going simple because it was available for 3 years, so parts, etc, especially body parts are generally more common simply as you have 3 yrs worth of choice......yeh, o/k its a 4dr, and their value isn't as high as a Coupe, two dr, convertible or wagon BUT ....and its a big but as mentioned parts are more common to suit the 4dr as they were the leader in sales and they still have the benefit of interchangeability of fenders, grilles, hood, bumpers, lights, dash, etc that all 46-48 P15 cars use......BTW....P15 is the Plymouth model or series number......there were some continued to be made and sold as 1st Series P18s into early 1949, however as far as I know everything on these early 1949 cars is indentical to the 46-48 model P15.........it has an independant front suspension with the same basic front end being used at least till 1954, king pins, upper and lower suspension parts are the same thru to 1954 with only sway bar bushes being different.......if you buy the car I'd strongly suggest getting both a parts and workshop manual ideally in paper and read from cover to cover.....unless the car is a complete basket case and it doesn't appear to be so, far from it actually, and you like doing extra work I'd leave it as stock/original as can be to start with at least until you become familiar with the car..........and getting back to my original statement........theres nothing wrong with a 4Dr sedan...............I've had mine, albeit a 1940 model since 1971 and sure, its a hotrod to boot but.....they're a good entry and continuing level vehicle..............welcome aboard from Oztralia.........lol...........Andy Douglas     

P1000695 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

"But its a 4-door" - Some of the lowest prices to get into a great hobby, a 4-door. Fun with friends and family comes with the 4-door. Every one should have one 4 door in their collection. Why? Because lots of friends and family want to jump in and go for a ride. 

The feature of my '48 P15 that gets the most attention is the 'suicide doors' .......folks love 'em.....they have to get in to try them out.   :)

suicide-doors.jpg.8d49079d832e8b7489bdc46689a9ac64.jpg

• Like 1

All great info here! 

So probably 218 L6 w 3 on the tree, dashboard pushbutton start, single pot master of course, IFS with super soft control arm mounted shocks, 90hp but closer to 200 tq? My 230 was actually pretty great on power, smooth, and super reliable. 

The suicide doors are definitely a selling point for me- if it’s gotta be a 4 door thats the classiest option. 

The price guides say 7k ish for a good example. So if it’s a clean original driver it’s in the ballpark. If it’s got original paint with no or very little issues and no rot I might grab it. I need another car like a hole in my head but whatever!

If it's a running, driving car with a clean title, and it looks good in person, I'd seriously consider it for that money.  It looks pretty good from the photo.  The fact that it has suicide doors is a definite plus from a value standpoint.  I personally don't think too much about resale value, though you don't want to seriously overspend when purchasing.  I'm in it for the enjoyment having a classic car brings.  7K is not really a lot of money any way you look at it.  If you like it, go for it.

Edited by hi_volt

28 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

All great info here! 

So probably 218 L6 w 3 on the tree, dashboard pushbutton start, single pot master of course, IFS with super soft control arm mounted shocks, 90hp but closer to 200 tq? My 230 was actually pretty great on power, smooth, and super reliable. 

46-48 certainly has push button start. I think 42 was the last year for the floor starter. 

some of  you folks are just too cheap for your own good.....looking at the pictured car and some of the accessories....and on top of that and this is an if on tire condition....just price a set of these WWWs mounted and balanced , those are correct period fog lights and though I did not see the rear bumper I assume by the general condition of the car represented and looking at the front bumper, over riders and grille protector bar...it would also be in good shape.  Though I do not care for the spot light many think this has to be there and will spent money getting it in place, hey, its already there and neatly done.  Yeah you can get a car for less, odds are you can get a flash bang paint over bondo with trunk and engine compartment raw and ugly as all get out...most lower cost cars have no inner and under detailed work.    this one could be one...but there is no way you can do the same work at minimum wage and cutting corners get it done for that price....

• Thanks 1

I am about as money-minded as the next man and I can honestly say I would not make any offer till I did an on site look of the vehicle.  My comment above was to try and set the scene for being realistic...the car as represented in a single pic places it in the 'realistic' bracket. and worth a personal inspection....but trunk, interior, engine compartment and undercarriage is not represented and what body is shown has not been inspected for proper repair.  However the trim and finish...very realistic as is....given the rest of the work is on the same scale...

Some people price things to sell and some are just fishing. I wouldn't make an offer or buy any vehicle without crawling all over it. I bought my '47 a few years ago for a little more than half of asking price. $6k is the most I'd spend on a 46-48 P-15 four door. And it would have to be a nice one at that. Someone else may think I'm cheap but I think I'm just realistic.

Edited by MackTheFinger

I agree with Plymouth Adams.  Just go price a nice paint job on a car today you are starting any where from 7-10 k. Tires period correct for my 39 Desoto with the ribbed sidewall and in White for 5 and new tube were over $250 each and I picked them up at Hershey plus moutning and balancing at $15 dollars each. So I just have over 1300+ in tires even though it is a  door the older cars are still not cheap. If the interior is good and usable and you do not have do do that that is another 3000.  Quality material runs approx. 90+ per yard for the period correct cloth plus installation.  Yes some of this can be done by you, but just price out a good compressor air and water filter, a very good spay gun, material to remove the paint, material to correct any body damage, paint primer and then top coat paint.  These all add up. The cost to chrom eplating is not cheap. Just to do a triple plate on my rear flat style bumper is running $500.

So when you start to figure in these cost I do not think that $7 is that bad of a cost.  Also remember that Mecum, B Jackson car auctions have driven up the prices on these older cars. We are not living back in the 60's when these cars were cheap the cost to find parts is going up just watch the prices on Ebay, the parts are getting harder to find even at Hershey with over 8000 car venders in one 4 day event.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

A couple of years back I listed my running, driving, fairly nice '47, a '41 4-door and a '50 Coronet club coupe project cars along with a bunch of parts on here for $6,500 and got absolutely zero responses. I listed the '47 on eBay at $4.5k Buy-It-Now, same result. I'm mostly a motorcycle guy and I look at it this way, there's no money in Sportsters, no matter how much you spend on paint and chrome, but rusty Knuckle stuff is gold. Similarly, old 4 door Mopars aren't Hemi Cudas. 

To make sure there are no misunderstandings, absolutely nothing I own will be for sale until I'm dead. 

• Like 3

It all comes down to what you want, how much you are willing to spend and if you are happy with that particular car. I don't sell my stuff or try to profit from cars or motorcycles that I build or buy. I do try to be realistic with their value though. I know people that have bought 4 door cars and long bed trucks just to have an old ride but later they regret it. Usually turns out that isn't what they truly wanted. I am not cheap by any means but something is worth what it is worth. Of you believe it to be a good deal and are happy with the car, buy it and drive the hell out of it. Good luck and have fun.

The car hobby has changed, yes it has and the older pre war and after war II is no longer of importance to car collectors any more.  I have seen this slow decline over the past 32 years just from attending the Hershey swap meet.  The car hobby has changed to the Hemi cars and high performance cars and trucks, BUT these cars are so OVER PRICED that they will also lose there appeal because the market keeps changing.  So you buy a Hemi Cuda for 100k then you are afraid to drive it because of the cost then it sits and deteriates in condition over the next 10-15 years and now you lose money on the car.

So buy what you like run the hell out of the car and have lots of fun and enjoy the hobby so one mans pleasure and price that they can pay for a car is not what you will pay, but the idea is that we have saved another car from the crusher, another person joins the hobby and the hobby continues and maybe this gentleman has a son or daughter that wants to get involved with the hobby.  This a positive thing not a negative thing just because of what someone else wants to pay for a car. Its the continuation of the hobby and then enjoyment of the hobby.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

According to the posts in this thread I paid too much for my '48 P15. But the car doesn't need a $5000 interior, or $6000 of body and paint work, and the engine probably has less than 3000 miles since overhaul thirty years ago. 

I put six months of hard la......ahhh......loving attention into the mechanicals and now have a ride that my bride and I are thoroughly enjoying. The car is now worth........shoot....I don't care what it is worth.....I wanted a vintage car that I can drive and now I have one. The money I've spent on it is 'toy money' and is insignificant enough in the big picture that it gets lost in the financial noise.

This project would have been absolutely no fun if I had constantly been worried about whether or not each dollar spent was going to bring a return. I'm quite sure I'll never get all my money out of the car.....and I'm fine with that.   :)

desktop.jpg.fb62e00a625b891b393b570df1c73b76.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shesh!...........all you guys must be made of money.......lol...........to be a REAL tightwad try beating this..........my 1940 Dodge was advertised for $40..............beat him down to $15.......and it had 6weeks registration, owners manual, workshop manual...complete down to the hubcaps..........and that $15 was Oz dollars...about $11.00 US dollars...........err........well it was a couple of years ago........oops.....has it been THAT long?..........lol........September 1971 doesn't seem that long ago...........lol......err......he looks in a mirror.....who is THAT old fart?..........but in all seriousness..............the original posted pic shows a reasonably neat old car.......check it over and go from there............we all wish you good luck..............andyd    

Well Andy,

in 1968 I bought  a 37 Ply. bus. cpe. for $20. It looked like crap but was 100% complete. King pins, steering and many other common needed repairs were in perfect shape. For a 18 year old it was gold to me. My father wanted it Gone, gone,gone! !!

He settled for me getting it hidden until I got it running again.?

Like you a dumb kid decided I needed a motorcycle more so I sold it after it ran and looked good. ?

Have been looking for another since about 1980 for another reasonably priced same model- No luck!  ?

I regard owning an old car as a hobby .Hobbies generally cost money. Owning an old car costs more than some hobbies,less than others..It's up to an individual what his personal interests are and what he is prepared to spend on a hobby.Personally I've never spent a dollar on an old car I didn't earn, and while I'm somewhat knowledgeable regarding prices, in some cases the price I've paid to buy a car is more than the value others would have  placed on the same car. I've never figured on any of the old cars or my motorcycle(s) as an investment, although certainly there is some value there if and when I should decide to sell...Chances are they will probably be left for others to sell.
That said,If you like the car go ahead and buy it,get the best deal you can keeping in mind there will always be work to do on any old vehicle you buy... ☺️

Radar, please be sure what car you are willing to spend your hard earned dough on.

Car in the picture is a ''46-'48, not a '42. Dealing with a DMV bureaucrat trying to get

a title straightened out may make banging your head against the wall seem like 

more fun than buying this car. For clarity, car in the picture you show is NOT A 42 PLYMOUTH.

Lots of old MOPARs out there for fair prices so shop carefully. Best of luck

whatever you decide.