Hi beam switch location

JSabah

I can’t seem to find the hole where my hi-low foot switch was. I don’t know if they were welded up when fixing the floors, covered with undercoating or ???  Can someone please measure the location of the foot switch for me (49 Plymouth). Thank you

• Like 1

the foot switch should be on the left side of the floor board near the driver side kick panel. Have you lifted up the floor mat or rug to see if there is any type of indication of a prior hole.

So assuming that you do not have the floor switch then you only have a direct wiring setup to only have the low beams work on your car.

The  h/l beam floor switch is a generic item and would have a wire running from the headlight switch down to the floor switch. then a wire running out to the lowe beam on the  wire block and then the wires run to the low beam on your headlights.

Also a sperate wire running from the foot switch out to the wire block for the high beams.

If there is no prior hole then first get the foot switch and then determine where you want it to be located.  You will have to drill out three holes, one for the button to sick up thru the floor board and then two smaller hole that use two screws to attach the foot switch to the metal floor boards and then run the appropriate wires from the headlight switch and then out to the headlight terminal block.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

My floors are new and newly repaired. I have the old switch but do not see evidence of where it was specifically located. My seats are not in yet so determining where a comfortable place is isn’t an option. All wires are being replaced. I was hoping to get a location from the Doritos that I didn’t have to wait until the seats are in to pic a place to drill  

The location is come what critical because it must fit into the hidden frame cavity below. My suburban is not home now so cannot give exact position. However, that switch can be installed any time so pressing need.

• Thanks 1

JSabah-

measurements from my 50 4 dr. are 1 3/8" from big hole center to side of kick panel and 9 3/8" measured in a flat line( do not follow curve of the floor between points) between center of hole to the body mount hole just forward of door opening (just right of kick panel).

My repair manual 46-50 shows that  49 and 50 models frame measurements are the same so these should be of help.

Need some other measures in that area just ask- I currently have my floor uncovered in that area and access cover off to repair my master cylinder.?

DJ

like these?

DJ

IMG_0990_3.JPG

IMG_0989_2.JPG

As I remember sometime between 1949-51 the dimmer switch location changed. I learned this swapping a mint 1949 or 50 floor mat into my 51 Cranbrook a long time ago.

The dimmer hole didn't match my Cranbrooks ☹