PowerFlight - Step one on the 1947 Desoto Makeover

James_Douglas

I am following up on the first big item to the remodel of the 1947 Desoto. I found a man in Canada who sells on eBay named Norm who is taking apart a 1954 Chrysler Windsor for the 265. It has the two speed Powerflite in it. He knows people like George and Tim and perhaps some of the folks on the forum.

The powerflite's in the sixes had different parts in them. Mostly in the governor and the valve body. No doubt to match the torque curve of the six versus the V8.

He is selling me not just the trans and the torque converter, but all the associated parts such as the throttle linkage, the downshift linkage and all the brackets that bolt to the engine and the firewall. He is also sending along the transmission cross-member as well as the bare steering column so that I can take the get the items related to that for the Powerflite. There was even a special set of block to bell housing brackets for the six versus the V8. It is all those little thing that can make a swap either just work or a nightmare.

I am starting to think that using the 1954 Column, since I will be cutting it for the power steering, may work the best as I can make a column to dash bracket to replace the 1947 Column and bracket. Then I get the linkage without too much engineering and even the little pointer on the top of the column.

Parts for the Powerflite do not seem to be to hard to get. If anyone out there and practical experience with the Powerflite and rebuilding them...I am all ears.

Although I cannot so anything until March when the surgeon clears my back as OK to do stuff, I can start collect up some of the parts and rebuilding them on the bench. Just as long I get someone to put it on the bench for me!

James.

• Like 1

Sounds like you made a good score. Keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully your back is better soon. I’m facing possible back surgery in the near future so I understand. Btw I understand that you’re the best guy to ask about the M6 trans and fluid drive unit. How would I search for this on the forum? I’m not having problems, just like to keep informed. Thanks and good luck.