T236-engine: Part of the 25inch family

T236-Dose

Hey folks,

I'm new here and I was very happy to find this forum while searching for informations about the 25-inch engine family. The reason: I live in Germany and own a Canadian Dodge from 1945 ( official named D3/4 APT/WP). I want to rebuilt my T236 engine and may be you could imagine that informations about this truck are not available in our country even in Europe. Meanwhile I have a lot of technical infos/data around the truck including handbook, manual and so on, which I got thankfully from Brian Asbury (Canada). But I have no infos around the engine to get spares for examples. A lot T214-stuff from the US-Dodge won't fit (by the way, is that a 23-inch engine?) So I don't know what could fit: It starts with the crancshaft bearings, pistons, waterpump, seals and so on. For the moment I would be happy to know, where variants of this engine have been built in and may be some addresses or names of dealers.

I have already been on the page T237 – "Dodge Truck VIN Decoder – but I got no hit with my number. Later I found a nice story on the page hemmings.com about the 25-inch engines. But the T236 isn't mentioned with any word.

That's it for the moment, thanks in advance to everybody how will publish something. And if there is anybody who needs something about the German VW Kübelwagen, the VW Schwimmwagen or the Russian Gaz 69 or 46 - I can help.

Best regards from Dortmund (Germany)

Jürgen

75th-D-Day 2019.JPG

The cool part of MoPar back in this era is how much stuff interchanged. Most everything will interchange for all the 25" MoPar flatheads (except crank & rods) So that motor is similar to American Dodge 1.5-2 5 ton trucks, 35?-53 Chrysler and DeSotos, and I think most Canadian production. As for parts, check Rock Auto. You can find most everything you need with some careful digging, I order stuff for a 53' Chrysler Windsor with a 265 for my 25" motor

Hello Tony, hello 41/53,

many thanks for your replies.

@Tony: Yes, you are right ? ! As said I have a copy of the original manual. Attached to this post you'll (and others) find the two pages with all the engine specifications of the T236.

@41/53: Many thanks for your reply, which is very helpful. I tried at once to look through the Rock Auto pages - I know the company cause I already bought some parts for my 2003 GMC there. But it's difficut for me to figure out, in which cars/trucks the 25-inch flathead was used. So I followed your search to the Chrysler Windsor and for example I opend the page with the engine gasket set (which I need of course).  There are two available and the difference I can see are the alternate OEM-numbers. But they don't fit to the Canadian Dodge.

With the pistons it's much easier: As far as I can see they fit (Bore: 3.4375), but what's about the rings? In the description of Rock Auto ring 1 is 3/32 (similar to the T236) but Ring 2 is 5/32 (T236 = 3/32 too). Hm, I think if to search more ? which is not so easy because I'm born in the Millimeter-world. 

Anyway, if somebody knows some more cars in which the 25 inch engine was used, it would be very kind and helpful to post them here.

T236 page 1.jpg

T236 page 2.jpg

Canadian built civilian trucks of 1-1/2 & 2 ton size from 1948 to 1950 have a 236.6 cubic inch engine with a 3-7/16" bore and a 4-1/4" stroke. They have two compression rings of 3/32" width and two oil rings of 5/32" width. There are probably other Canadian trucks with a 236.6 cubic inch engine  also, but I only have the books to verify 1948 to 1950. Also in cars a 1949 Canadian built DeSoto S13-2 Custom has a 236.6 cubic inch engine. Another book I have shows only DeSoto cars used the 236.6 engine in Canada in models S10 (1942), S11 (1946-1948), S13 (1949) and S14 (1950). Any of these models mentioned may help finding engine parts.

Hello Tim,

wow, that's really helpful, because I didn't know that there have been other trucks and DeSoto in which they used that engine. With your infos my search will become a lot easier - thanks for rummaging in your books :-).

By the way, are there any other Canadian Dodge APT owners out there? Because it would be very interesting to get a close look to the wade-proof-equipment, especially the distributor and the coil would be of interest. A new distributor cap and a rotor I own, but he whole rest is missing. If anybody is interested, I have the description for the "preparation for wading" (4 pages).

Regards Jürgen

Hey Tim, a lot of work left ? What does "a couple" means? You have got two? I only know the word in combination of two persons staying or living together.

And another question: I tried to google the Dodge models which you mentioned in your post. Is it corrrect that that is the B series?

Regards Jürgen

13 hours ago, Tim in NB said:

A couple (2) of pictures and yes this is a B series. Chrysler corp. did not use the B letter in the B series truck models in Canada, they used D for dodge & F for Fargo. My friend has a 1950 FN1. We plan on building them up together in his garage.

Yah I just learned that on FB a month or so ago....never knew that.

Hey Gentleman,

best regards from the dark side of the moon and thanks for all the explanations. 
FB = Facebook - puh, how stupid. I expected something technical. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to interprete shortcuts in a strange language.

Your shortcut newbie ?

• 3 months later...