Timing chain covers without the pointer

Jack L

As far as I know, all timing covers have the pointer for timing purposes...however, it does not take much to knock some pointers off if the spot welds weren't very good to begin with...the Plymouth 230 I worked on, the pointer got knocked off when I was trying to turn the crank to TDC...I have another spare flathead that I can clearly see the 4 spot weld contact points that held the pointer that is long gone.  In the case of that 230, that was the 1st time I used JB Weld on anything...put over 10k on that engine and it's still attached, 25+ years later...

Just my opinion, but the timing pointer is just a general guide as its accuracy depends on the viewer's perspective since there is a noticeable gap between it and the crank pulley.  I located TDC visually with an engine out, and there was little chance I was gonna be able to have my peepers located at that angle with the engine back in the truck :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added information

. The reason for the question was that I have a 25" engine that's a "transplant" in my 50 Windsor and there's no signs that the timing pointer was ever there. The identifying stamping on the block is pretty much obliterated, but was told that it was a truck engine.  I've also seen pictures of some engines that appear to have never had it. There's obviously ways of timing it without the pointer, but I was just curious. Thanks.

One of the attached is an industrial engine, and the other I'll assume is a military engine, being 24 volt.

industrial T125-502.jpg

military 24 volt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...