49 Plymouth gets trashed by Ford!

MarcDeSoto

I love to watch these comparison videos made by the auto manufacturers.  Some of them give a surprising amount of detailed information.  More than you would get today.  Now, sit back, relax, and watch this totally unbiased review of the 49 Ford vs. the 49 Plymouth.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Haha 2

Wow, I sure hope you were being sarcastic when you wrote "totally unbiased"...;)  I vaguely recall seeing other automobile (and other products) comparison ads when I was a kid, but I also recall a lawsuit, in the '70's I think, that some company won that prevented companies from showing "opponents" in a bad light.  I don't remember if it was car related or something else.  Some kind of defamation/libel/slander thing.  Since then, no direct us vs. them advertising, (with a little bit of creep now and then).  Anyone else have similar recollections?  Regardless, thanks for posting that, I found it rather entertaining. 

7 minutes ago, YukonJack said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I always thought 49-51 Fords (Shoe box) were one of the least appealing body styles they made.

Me too, except for the '51 short cab, long deck coupe.  I think it was available as a business model without back seat and with a small seat.  And the '51 grille was much more attractive than the horrid 49-50 version.

still not up to par with the Mopars though.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, kencombs said:

Me too, except for the '51 short cab, long deck coupe.

I have a '51 Ford club coupe so obviously I like them. I also have some other Fords, Chevys, Mopars, and VW's. It would inspire some deep introspection on my part if I found myself fanatically devoted to any automobile manufacturer.

Love them as I do, from anything like an objective viewpoint all old cars are equally junk.. All you have to do is drive a new one to figure that out.. ?

• Like 1

This is a great video! I've watched it a few times since getting my '49 Plymouth this summer. Historically the '49 Ford was not a good car and the '50 Ford slogan was something along the lines of "50 improvements for 1950". A few years ago I was pining after a 1950 Ford, but am glad I ended up not getting it and purchasing a '49 Plymouth this past June.

Having driven two different '49 Plymouths well over 1000 miles this year I have found them to be very reliable cars and very fine automobiles!

Edited by tjlarson88

I'm a mopar guy all the way but the 49-51 ford club coupes are some of the nicest looking cars made in that era. Not to mention probably the basis of more customs than any other car, even Mercs. I still wouldn't give up my 49 plymouth for anything. 

I'm also the owner of a "shoebox" -1950 Meteor club coupe.It also has the large rear deck, sold in Canada by Mercury Lincoln dealers,same body style as the Ford club coupe, only fitted with Meteor (Mercury Style) grille and trim...I like them both.?

• Like 1

I  have had several vintage Chrysler product cars since the mid 1950's,(still own), and am indeed mopar fan.Although I have to agree with forum member, "allbizz49",  the 49-51 Ford club coupes do easily lend themselves to customizing for those so inclined, and there has been some really nice examples through the years. While I can appreciate what others have done with their cars,my1950Meteor remains quite original with the Ford flathead V8,etc...1950meteorcustdlxclubcpe.jpg.bd3a8d606c012667c2ed0cff44da36ac.jpg

1219683986_1950MeteorCoupe(3).jpg.48b2f0648e26c84deb947684cc38e0dc.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, T120 said:

I  have had several vintage Chrysler product cars since the mid 1950's,(still own), and am indeed mopar fan.Although I have to agree with forum member, "allbizz49",  the 49-51 Ford club coupes do easily lend themselves to customizing for those so inclined, and there has been some really nice examples through the years. While I can appreciate what others have done with their cars,my1950Meteor remains quite original with the Ford flathead V8,etc...1950meteorcustdlxclubcpe.jpg.bd3a8d606c012667c2ed0cff44da36ac.jpg

1219683986_1950MeteorCoupe(3).jpg.48b2f0648e26c84deb947684cc38e0dc.jpg

Stock or custom, hard to deny how nice looking of a car they are. Yours is beautiful. Wouldn't hurt my feeling to own that. 

• Thanks 1