1952 Plymouth Concord Skirts

grea235

Decided to make my own fender skirts for my work-in-progress 1952 Plymouth Concord.  The price of 350ish for a reproduction set is too much and, from my experience with VW repop parts, they probably wouldn't fit.

I tried fabric from a dress and drove around with it.  I liked the pattern but it flapped around too much.  Boy, was my granddaugher mad when she found out I used her dress!!  Just kidding.

Plym_Skirt_1.jpg.6e2723e32537d338aa77950848ea9160.jpg

The real skirts are made from fiberglass from a wood \foam mold.    I flatted out the fender lip in two spots at the top and on the sides and drilled them with 1/4".   I molded in locator pins for the top two holes and holes for the sides.  So it pins into the top holes, then bolts in at the bottom.  I embedded two flat bars horizontally to give the skirts some strength and a round rod at the bottom to keep the curve and provide a rolled lip.  They had to curve sharp in the front bottom corners to get around the tire and arc around the hubcap.

I think it looks gangster.

I used the same fender beading as the fenders to give it some consistency, so I had to keep a consistent, more like tried to keep a consistent gap\reveal all the way around.

The passenger side has a little deformity in the gap, but I'll get that straightened out.  If they were perfect, they would outshine the rest of the car.

Plym_Skirt_2.jpg.e90c6eef6353c27b03db3efdc507aa9f.jpg

Plym_Skirt_3.jpg.efaf4716a76b96d9d43cd47b0959fa1a.jpg

Plym_Skirt_4.jpg.9e7f63b94794371f30f5cb74e0324af7.jpg

Plym_Skirt_5.jpg.be34edb764e61e654e227bcdaef189f5.jpg

Plym_Skirt_6.jpg.8da0eba799d64c97ec0f197396c98814.jpg

Pictures.lnk

• Like 3

Dunno about gangsters but that is a very nice work and a credit to you.........welcome aboard BTW............andyd