Intake and carb(s) decision

kencombs

I bought a 2 carb Offy manifold last year with the intent of using it on the 230 I'm beginning to assemble for my 54 PU.  I also have some Holley 1904s with glass bowls that were also in the plan  .But, now I'm having second thoughts.  First the Holleys have a different bolt spread than the stockers.  So that would require me to either make adapters or mod the manifold.  I could fill the existing holes with some aluminum all-thread, epoxied in place and redrill, so not a huge deal.  Now I'd have to design and build the linkage as nothing exists for that manifold/carb combo. 

Now I'm considering a single 2 barrel.   Looking at the stock manifold I think I can weld on a piece of steel big enough to accept a small 2 barrel, like the early Mopar v8s used.  Using steel thick enough I could then drill and grind to taper it into the single hole.  I've got a stash of nickle rod that would make this not to difficult.

Lots of work but easier linkage and tuning after it's complete.

Oh, forgot that I also have a pair of stock carbs that need cleaning and/or kits installed.

decisions decisions,  should I keep the Offy and do the work, or sell it and do the work on the stocker?   Thoughts from anyone with experience would be appreciated.

To each his own i would say. Taking the most challenging would be the way to go,thinking outside the box will impress some people. 
myself, i wouldnt consider damaging a rare manifold.

the later dodge 2bbl idea intrigues me. My carb may need a kit and a float, and i have a few 2 bbl carbs kicking around. 

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

To each his own i would say. Taking the most challenging would be the way to go,thinking outside the box will impress some people. 
myself, i wouldnt consider damaging a rare manifold.

the later dodge 2bbl idea intrigues me. My carb may need a kit and a float, and i have a few 2 bbl carbs kicking around. 

Neither of my options include a rare manifold.  what I'd really like is a factory 2bbl kit.  Talk about rare!!

I had a repop weber 32/36 on my 230. It looked good and ran GREAT.

The whole multiple carb thing is awesome for a period correct souped up deal. I dunno if anybody was hopping up their work truck though? Especially the dodges back then you would just buy the next bigger model if you needed more power.

Whichever way makes you happiest is the way to go for sure. I know I do stuff the hard way sometimes because it’s more fun or there is pride or ego involved in doing or having something nobody else does. 

Post some pics of whatever you do- I’d love to see!

Edited by Radarsonwheels