1958 Canadian poly v8

fireguyfire

Thought I’d throw this in its own thread since I have a different one regarding the heads off of my engine.

i own a 1958 Fargo Sweptside, one of 11 made in 58, and 1 of 3 with the v8.

The  truck I believe has the original v8 (which is seized) or at least I’m really hoping it’s the factory v8 on this rare beast.

i know Canadian numbers can be goofy but I thought I’d post it up anyway.

The number on the boss on the top passenger side of the engine is KV-182 62C.

Can anyone help me out with interpreting this number?

KV-182 62C

From what little knowledge I have on Canadian numbers KV is 1957 V8 but it usually relates to the 303 that was in the Plymouths and Dodges cars . However the Custom Royal used the 313 so it should carry the KV prefix as well. 

The LV prefix is 1958 V8. 

C at the end is for Canada.

The 182 62 I don`t know.

Can you measure the bore? Being only one of 3 V8`s it would confirm 303 or 313.  

Tony

• Like 1

Because we imported our engines, engine date to vehicle date differences were common.

Hard to know what happened in Canada but would not surprise me specially as this is a very limited run vehicle.

The best way to measure would be to use the type of equipment left of centre in the pic. However that's an expensive way to go for a one off measurement.

The internal spring caliper (top right) and a vernier set will give a close enough measurement.

It depends on how far you want to go. I like to strip and measure everything before it goes to the machine shop (or scrap bin) then measure everything when it comes back from the shop before reassembly.       

DSC06456.JPG.0b930d4df6faa3417dda918aab06c521.JPG