1958 v8 rocker question

Doing a rough rear down on the engine in my 1958 Fargo Sweptside truck. I have the heads off and want to remove the rocker arm assembly. The shop manual is pretty vague on the removal process.

it looks like the “bosses” that attach the rocker assembly to the head are cast and part of the head itself; if that is the case then I am assuming I have to slide out the rocker shaft out one end and remove all of the parts asi go?

can anyone shed some light on the removal process? I really don’t want to damage or break anything.

Single rocker shafts and stands un bolt from the heads.

On the dual shaft hemi's the 10 head bolts hold the stands..

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Wow! Those do look cast into the head.

I cannot even find that type of head in any 1957-60 DT parts/service books.?

45 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Wow! Those do look cast into the head.

Yep. First time I pulled one apart I thought they would be like the LA`s were everything comes off together. 

29471776_DSC03037e.jpg.da97ca4433c25c3b81a58096b6f5795a.jpg

If these are the same type of heads the OP has the tower between rocker number six and 7 will have a pin or a grub screw which locks the shaft in place.(its been too long). The shaft will then slide out sideways. Remember to keep all the rockers in order as you slide the shaft out.

1116620963_DSC03034e.jpg.1a62fad5052f6a30da691bc8288439e0.jpg 

Tony

• Like 1

Maybe an export design.

So I was able to pull the pin as suggested and slide out the rocker shaft and all of its parts pretty easily.

cleaned up the inside top of the head a bit and found the casting numbers, and a yellow factory paint daub.

The 2 different numbers I found are, A177 7, and then to the right 1618721-1.

Wondering if these numbers line up with being original to my 58 Canadian 313?

im 99% sure the engine hasn’t been touched since the factory, and I’m really hoping everything is matching numbers since it is such an Uber rare truck.

1618721-1 appears on the two sets of spare heads I have. The numbers to the left are C90 and G148. I have no idea what year model engines these came off. The numbers for the 62 ( I think) engine are 2264095 and 1019 2. They could have came from cars or trucks and I assume they are Canadian as they were the suppler for V8`s to Australia.

There use to be a Poly engine site on the net years ago, not sure if its still around but you might try them.

Tony

• 3 months later...