Prius power assist steering

51cambridge

56 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

Prius is a 4 letter word.....

Hmmm. I count 5 letters.

Not sure why you see the need to post this. For what its worth the Prius has been top on a bunch of lists for reliability and low cost of ownership. And, of course, they get great gas mileage. So if you want basic, economical transportation it might be a car for you. But, of course, the way it was marketed and its general lack of sporting operation or its odd styling can be a turn off to many, especially those who consider themselves to be "car people". Still why the negative post?

Back a bit more on topic: I was under the impression that many/most current production vehicles have electric power assist. Is there anything that makes the unit from the Prius better for a swap than equivalent units from other vehicles? Since the original link is to Facebook which I won't go to, I guess I can't read the original write up to see what the reason(s) behind the choice was.

Well, it was a joke but yeah, I don't care for them. I drive a 60 year old truck every day that I'm not on a motorcycle. Working my 49 done to add to the mix. Prius or any other Toyota parts don't belong on these old cars. Just my opinion but unlike most people that have old cars, I use mine every day. I don't have a modern commuter. You must be a Prius owner, haha.

12 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

On the rebuild of the 1947 Desoto, I intend on using the following as unlike Uni-steer and the others, this unit is rated to deal with my 5500 pound car.

https://epasperformance.com/products/custom-power-steering-kit

James

Reading the information requirements it appears this one might be compatible with the stock shifter? 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:44 AM, James_Douglas said:

On the rebuild of the 1947 Desoto, I intend on using the following as unlike Uni-steer and the others, this unit is rated to deal with my 5500 pound car.

https://epasperformance.com/products/custom-power-steering-kit

James

James,  I particularly like that brand if for nothing else the rheostat control for assist sensitivity  where it can be turned up for parking and down for road feel at freeway speeds. Best of both worlds.  ?

DJ