Double Flare Tube Questions

keithb7

On the picture that shows the gap when using the tool is wrong.  You want the tool locked on each end with the wingnuts and you wish to do this in even steps...do not run down on end and then expect to clamp with the other nut as it will distort and pinch the tubing and will immediately case a bit of off center to the tube.  Tighten in equal increments till both ends of the clamp are metal to metal.  Yes it does distort the tube a bit...but not really noticeable if done in these stages.  The industry has taken this into account when making the tools as it must grip the tube and not slip...with slow even pressure your slight compression keeps the tube centric and lock it in place.  Just don't get in a hurry or try to cut a corner...not saying anyone is, only a note to go in smaller steps to keep uniformity, little oil on the wing nut and washer works wonders also.

I've got the snap on version of the standard tool with the split bar and have never had trouble with it. Not sure you can get a new one anymore. My quick search of their site only showed blue point

22 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I've got the snap on version of the standard tool with the split bar and have never had trouble with it. Not sure you can get a new one anymore. My quick search of their site only showed blue point

blue point...blue point....oh yeah...truck jobber's HF quality......lol

I kid of course....I have a few blue point items here and just this past weekend at the flea market found a nice pair of dang-it pliers for 3.00....already used them servicing a car for the coming winter...like the locking action....step up from my no latching pair....but of course,  I have had those some 30+ years

• 7 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, HotRodTractor said:

I upgraded to a hand held hydraulic flaring tool a few years ago. Quality flares across the board no matter what style with very minimal fuss compared to the tool being used in this thread. I regret not upgrading earlier.

Just food for thought for those that have trouble or are needing to expand their flaring capabilities. The one I purchased is made by Mastercool.

Amen!!!! 

just received my Mastercool Friday, what a blast!!! ? used the 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16.... 

now if I can find some 1/2 tubing I might be able to move this rust bucket of a truck ?

Got my mastercool set a couple months ago. Will never regret it. 
used a similar one to op’s for many years. Only time i had trouble was flaring under the car,no way to clamp it in a vise. 
the shoulder on the 1st step or button is the depth for the start of the flare,too much stickout and i would see similar results.