bullseye headlite

captden29

the technique is to carefully remove the glass from the metal backing. Then glue it onto a different backer that uses replaceable bulbs. I have 1 original bulb for my p15 and I keep thinking I'll do this with it if I can ever find a matching one. 

one of the easiest ways to do this is the careful removal of your leans and then buy a pair of the composite H4 style replacement headlights offered on the market today.  While they are all 7" some features vary from different suppliers from plastic lens to glass and some incorporate a daytime running lamp......best news is the lens seem to be silicone into place on these (mine were).  Cut the silicone off and as stated simply silicone your bull's eyes in place.

• Like 1

I did this back in the mid 80s and wrote an article about it in the Plymouth Bulletin  . I tried unsuccessfully this morning to find it. It was titled " Brighten Up those Bulls Eyes" .   I used a Bosch reflector that took an H4 bulb .  The bulbs are a Phillips brand and were not easy to get in 6 volts.   After carefully using diagonal wire cutters to tease the original backing away from the bulls eye lens, I used windshield urethane  very sparingly   to glue the lense to the Bosch reflector.  It fits perfectly. The results are impressive, especially high beam.   The Bosch reflector has a  deflector which keeps the heat of the H4 bulb away from the lense. It is hidden behind the bulls eye so everything looks good and there is no blinding glare.    

Edited by dpollo
  • Like 2

I figured there would be a YouTube video on fitting an old bulls eye lens to a more modern reflector and H4 bulb setup. But apparently the term "bulls eye" or "bullseye" is now being used for projector style headlights and there are an overwhelming number of hits showing how to upgrade your newer car to use them. I am guessing there is are howto videos out there, but finding one through all the other hits hasn't work for me yet.