2 door wagon fixed QTR window question

Rustytoolss

Got a question about how the fixed quarter side panel windows were installed.  Were they installed from the outside of the vehicle/ from the inside ? and how were they sealed ?   Also is all of the side/tailgate glass " flat glass " ?   This is for future project information.

you did not mention a model or year so I am answering based on the all steel early Plymouths through 54    they should install from inside....special channel rubber to seat against the pinch and are retained by metal bezel/garnish or whatever you wish to call them.  Also take note that no one to my knowledge is making this rubber and the person who did made the die to extrude it for me, I got a set but he since lost the die.  I cannot think of the one other person who may make this but I have not seen it in his listing but admit also, I have not kept track of him of late.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

can't say the model year for sure (project planning stage) . So could a guy in a pinch glue in the glass (like modern cars) ? in a non stock  build. Also was all the side/rear glass "flat glass" ?

I have a ‘53 Suburban all side glass is flat. My glass seals do not leak, so will not remove the glass, windshield and tail gate the same. Won’t fix what ain’t broke!   

Edited by pflaming

Good evening:

Regarding rubber stripping for windows, I think you might want to get samples of products being reproduced for other makes of vehicles.  Something is probably out there that you can make work!   I would also advise keeping every bit of your existing rubber stripping, to use for comparison, and also in case you are forced to put the old stuff back on the vehicle.  Good luck!

IF and again that is an IF....you wish to have the overlaying of the rubber onto the outer glass opening...I do not know of this being made and searching (of course a bit back) through all I could find in two major suppliers...I could not find anything.....as for sealing...you can get generic that will seal glass to body and glass to garnish BUT this is probably going to leave a gap on the exterior that will collect dirt and water and promote rot.  I think the man who if anyone of late has made this rubber, I think I have his name right as Krause...?