Recommended books for engine rebuild

Stewart Woollard

I've got a 218 Dodge engine I am about to start a rebuild on. My plan is for a dual carb intake, tubular or split original exhaust, and skim the head. I haver never worked on these engines before. What books would you guys recommend specific to the flathead 6 ?

Cheers,

Stewart

There’s a decent rebuild video someone posted on YouTube recently that explains the tear down, machining and rebuild. I also posted some snapshots from an old magazine series on the documents section of this forum a couple years ago. 

There's also a thread titled "Engine Rebuilding Gotchas" under the Technical Archives of this forum, pinned at or near the top of that page.  Most of the discussion in that thread applies to most if the Mopar flathead sixes, including the 218.

There's also an Army manual sold by Vintage Power Wagons, which covers the 230 engine, but virtually everything would apply to the 218, except things like crankshaft stroke.  Fastener torque, clearances, etc., are all the same as on the 218.  Others here can confirm this.  This manual goes into pretty great detail.  I don't have the manual number in front of me, but if you call them, they will know what you are talking about, or you can find it on their website, I'm sure.  They may also recommend a rebuild manual for the Chrysler industrial engines.  It's pretty good, but the Army manual may be a little better.  I have both, and they are both a lot better than the Dodge Truck factory manual that I have, in that they provide a lot more instructional details and specifications.

Edited by Matt Wilson

Stewart,  In addition to the books recommended above, here is a general book on all aspects of auto restoration by Matt Joseph.  HIs famous articles "On Restoration" originally appeared in the Skinned Knuckles magazine back in the 80s.  Then he took those articles and turned into a great book.  This book is far more authoritative  than the average book on restoration.  I checked Ebay and couldn't believe the price!  I paid about $30 for my copy.  Under $5 and free shipping.  This is a steal!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Guide-to-Automotive-Restoration-by-Matt-Joseph/143433324226?epid=649955&hash=item21654ad6c2:g:~Q4AAOSw2VZdwgU8

Stewart.........I also suggest getting a factory workshop manual, a paper version, not a CD  and read the book, cover to cover, its amazing what you'll pick up just by that, a good set of tools, ring, open mouth spanners and socket set, various hand tools and a good torque wrench and you should be good to go......I would also suggest go through the threads on this site , even those which by the title you may not seem to have any interest in as you'll be surprised at what info is here and that you will pick up knowledge just by osmosis......I'd also suggest checking out the Pilothouse truck side as the engines are the same and again they may have ideas, tips and suggestions that will help..........on the stock 1941 Plymouth engine I had I installed a HEI dissy from Tom Langdons Stovebolt Engineering and found it was the best improvement I had done to the car, better starting, running and just better all round and it was going to be used on the 230 I was building but I ended up selling the car due to a business downturn......I would also suggest when you get to building the engine, if you do pull it down completely then look into getting it balanced as this is a worthwhile thing for any engine and will definately help the engine stay together..............and BTW......welcome aboard from Oz............andyd