Car clocks

MarcDeSoto

I’m installing my new wiring and the diagram shows to reuse the old in line 3amp fuse. I had a clock converted to 12v.  I did not previously have a clock - so I don’t have an old in line fuse (not a problem to get) .... but now that I’m 12v  do I need one (car was 6v and I’m using a 6v wiring harness (ie heavy wires). 

here is my clock being installed in my refurbished dash....

568AB431-9198-4490-A229-D9A3A6B2310D.jpeg

Gents,

Nice Jobs. I bought an extra on ebay just in case I screwed up my original about 5 years ago for around $40. The Original was running a little slow losing about 10 minutes a week.

I took it out of my dash, and just gently pulled the tabs back. Opened it carefully no flying springs.

I cleaned it and oiled it with a gently blast of PB Blaster. Put it back in and it works fine. The ebay one same thing and even painted the hands back with white paint.

I tested it off my battery on my car it also runs fine. Both original 6 Volts Clocks as is the system of my car. It ain't rocket science. A patient mechanical sort of method is called for here though no Mister Bad Wrenches or anyone in a rush to try to force anything along. Slow and Steady wins the race. It is very rewarding to accomplish in fact I encourage anyone to try it.

Tom 

7 hours ago, JSabah said:

I’m installing my new wiring and the diagram shows to reuse the old in line 3amp fuse. I had a clock converted to 12v.  I did not previously have a clock - so I don’t have an old in line fuse (not a problem to get) .... but now that I’m 12v  do I need one (car was 6v and I’m using a 6v wiring harness (ie heavy wires). 

here is my clock being installed in my refurbished dash....

568AB431-9198-4490-A229-D9A3A6B2310D.jpeg

I would put a fuse somewhere in the circuit. Curious, what did converting it to 12 volts consist of?  My 6v clock has been running on 12v for years now...

On 11/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I would put a fuse somewhere in the circuit. Curious, what did converting it to 12 volts consist of?  My 6v clock has been running on 12v for years now...

Clock only needs voltage less than one second to rewind spring every 2-4 minutes (can't remember). While ticking it uses no power. 

As this happens so fast, it's the only place I'd recommend using a crude resistor voltage reducer.

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Clock only needs voltage less than one second to rewind spring every 2-4 minutes (can't remember). While ticking it uses no power. 

As this happens so fast, it's the only place I'd recommend using a crude resistor voltage reducer.

Point I was making is you don't need to do anything, 12v just makes it wind a little faster.