38 plymouth running boards

38plymouth

I would like to have the factory rubber on my running boards replaced or maybe buy new running boards if that isnt possible. Has anyone found a company that can do this correctly?  I found 2 companies on Ebay that advertise new vulcanized boards but they have no reviews and their pictures are pretty crappy. My boards are very solid but the rubber is cracked.

I did email a company in Canada that vulcanized the boards for other days to see if they can do mine. 

Edited by 38plymouth

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2019 at 12:37 AM, 38plymouth said:

I would like to have the factory rubber on my running boards replaced or maybe buy new running boards if that isnt possible. Has anyone found a company that can do this correctly?  I found 2 companies on Ebay that advertise new vulcanized boards but they have no reviews and their pictures are pretty crappy. My boards are very solid but the rubber is cracked.

I did email a company in Canada that vulcanized the boards for other days to see if they can do mine. 

Did you get anywhere with this project?

I just noted the thread about running boards..

I  looked through a few of my past Plymouth Bulletin publications for someone that was rebuilding rubber covered running boards. A company named Buckeye Products, Paul Bowlin use to advertise in the Bulletin, however as I recall he passed away several years ago.
A review of my most resent Plymouth Bulletin listed a company named Ram Reproductions, I did an info seek on Yahoo and Ram Reproductions popped up... Good looking web site showing a full line of DPCD running boards, which are similar to Buckeye's, reconstructed with new vulcanize rubber coverings...

I found from experience doing the reconstruction of my '39 Plym conv cpe, that trying to have original boards recovered was a waste of time and money. Wm.

Hi Blue,

Is Johnny's Mexican food still open on the avenue? Not to mention the Top Hat. I miss that area.

I bought running boards from Buckeye products for my 1938 Dodge pickup at least 12 years ago. They were nice. A number of years ago when I was looking into getting some for my 1939 Plymouth I called Paul Bowlin. He told me he sold the business to Ram Reproductions. I finally got around to getting new running boards from RAM this past summer. They are good, but not perfect. I'd give them an 8 out of 10. I'm happy with them.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Hi Blue,

Is Johnny's Mexican food still open on the avenue? Not to mention the Top Hat. I miss that area.

I bought running boards from Buckeye products for my 1938 Dodge pickup at least 12 years ago. They were nice. A number of years ago when I was looking into getting some for my 1939 Plymouth I called Paul Bowlin. He told me he sold the business to Ram Reproductions. I finally got around to getting new running boards from RAM this past summer. They are good, but not perfect. I'd give them an 8 out of 10. I'm happy with them.

Pete

Hi Pete,

A lot of changes to Ventura during the last ten plus years.. Johnny's Mex is still open and doing well.. The Top Hat was displaced from their corner location of many years due to an urban renewal project that fell flat on it's face. The Top Hat relocated to a new location across the street from Ventura  High, not a good location, they went broke in a couple of years. Down town Ventura is alive and well, lots of revitilation, many upscale restaurants and thriving merchants.
 Since you mentioned that you have a 39 Plym, I have quite a stock of 39 Plym parts left over from the restoration of my 39 Plym Conv Cpe. Most of the stuff I have is body parts, S/S trim, instruments, accessories, etc.. No mechanical parts. Wm.

39 Plym conv.7-14-1.jpg

39 Plym conv.7-14-4.jpg