1928 dodge sedan

Todd B

In my experience, the ‘28  I drive starts to get shaky and kinda dicey at 40 mph. Not sure of top speed. I suspect it’s not much more. Overcoming air resistance, as speed increases, is a lofty goal for these smaller sedans. They were adequate tho in 1928. 

Edited by keithb7

In 1928 Chrysler models had a series number, ie series 52(4 cyl), 62 (6 cyl 180cu), 72(6cyl 248 cu) & 80(6 cyl 308cu), the number represented the speed they could reach ie., 52, 62, 72, and 80mph. I would imagine your Dodge would be similar to one of these.

I try not to go over 30mph in my 62, not that the engine couldn't do much more, its all the other systems that are not up to it ie. suspension, steering, centre of gravity, tyres etc.

1928 Dodge Standard 6 four door sedan, stock weighs in at 2721 lbs. A few more specs you may be interested in:

Price $895 ($13,449 today's dollars, cheap!).

Engine: 208 cubic inch  58 brake HP at 3,000 RPM. Net horsepower 27.3

1928 was the first year of the "Standard Six" model.  July 30 1928 was the date that Walter P Chrysler purchased and acquired the Dodge Brothers company.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

@Todd B as of this morning there is a guy on Facebook, marketplace. Located in Versailles Kentucky. He has a 1928 Dodge Bros car that he is tearing apart. Likely for to Hot-Rod it I assume. He’s offering the the engine, clutch, tranny, drive shaft, diff, axles, wheels, brakes etc.  open to offers for prices.  

I don’t know where you are located. Might be close to you. Way too far away from me to buy anything. Regards. Keith

Edited by keithb7

No number listed on the ad. Facebook uses its own instant messenger system. I have contacted the seller on your behalf to ask for a phone # and or email address. Will let you know if he responds. 

Facebook sucks in a lot of ways. However, unfortunately many millions and millions of people use marketplace to sell items these days. Ads you may never see if you are not a user of FB. When it comes finding parts for a 92 year old car, I recommend all options be considered.  Regards. 

• Thanks 1

I resisted FB until recently when I decided I wanted access to Marketplace and a couple of car and aviation interest groups. I set my account with everything turned off so I don't have to put up with friend requests and other stuff. So far it has been stealthy and hassle-free.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

12 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Todd, do you have this car at  your shop now? I may need to stop up there one of these days to check it out.

Still at my father-in-law’s a mile down the road. I will be getting it in two weeks. My shop is full right now. I’ll let you know when I have it in my possession.

I have a problem with people saying stupid things that are uneducated and I’m sure I will not be able to sit back and keep my mouth shut, so this is why I chose not to do Facebook. You can’t fix stupid.

13 minutes ago, Todd B said:

I have a problem with people saying stupid things that are uneducated and I’m sure I will not be able to sit back and keep my mouth shut, so this is why I chose not to do Facebook. You can’t fix stupid.

I'll try to be more careful about what I post from now on.......   ?

Since I'm not "friends" with anyone I don't see social media posts on Facebook.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

@Todd B call Sam Howell 570-751-8929 after 5 pm Eastern time. 

FB has evolved tremendously since early times. There is no need to friend anyone.  No need to see or read any stupid drama. Join your favorite “Private or Hidden” only hobby groups and utilize marketplace. Good to go. My daily feed on FB is dedicated to vintage Mopar cars. Which incidentally,  is how I saw today’s ad in Kentucky for 1928 Dodge Bros parts. 

Edited by keithb7

THANK YOU, I called the guy and he is holding several of the parts for me.  I suppose I should probably give Facebook a try, I remember when texting first came out I was upset with my kids for not just picking the damn phone up and talking to one another. But it seems like now I text more people than I call.  
This is going to be a fun chapter in my life.  I’ve made several friends on the truck side with my 1953 Dodge semi tractor and trailer. It appears the car site is no different. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Todd B said:

THANK YOU, I called the guy and he is holding several of the parts for me.  I suppose I should probably give Facebook a try, I remember when texting first came out I was upset with my kids for not just picking the damn phone up and talking to one another. But it seems like now I text more people than I call.  
This is going to be a fun chapter in my life.  I’ve made several friends on the truck side with my 1953 Dodge semi tractor and trailer. It appears the car site is no different. 

Well that's great news. I hope it all works out for you and it's worth the trip and back to collect the parts. I keeping hoping my lucky break materializes some day. LOL.

Edited by keithb7

• 4 weeks later...

I have my car on the trailer and heading to the mechanic tomorrow morning to get it running, brakes and new tires. This is gonna be a fun adventure. Once I figure out how to downsize my pictures I will send you guys pictures with several questions. One question I have and do not need pictures to ask. How does the hood stay open. Does it just lay back on the other face. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry about the pictures flipping to the side. I’m still working on that. But I don’t understand the speedometer. Is the right side a trip meter?

5CE51139-B42D-464E-84D1-029345CE9F23.jpeg