1928 dodge sedan

Todd B

My father-in-law bought a 1928 four-door sedan. Where would I get any brochures or literature on it. I hang out on the Dodge truck side always, my first time I’ve stepped foot on the side of the fence

Todd B 

I work on a 1928 Dodge Bros. My vintage car club owns it. Model is a  Standard 6. I have some good info. Service manual. Restoration tips etc. I’ll see if I can upload jt to Google docs and share it with you. I’ll check back in later with an update. 

Try clicking this link here. I have opened up the shared folder to anyone who clicks on this link. Read only access.

This folder contains a lot of in depth info/ A lot is labeled and directed at the  Victory 6 model car. However much of it pertains to all the Dodge Bros cars of 1928.

There are numerous books here to read and get a good understanding of the cars and the culture of 1928.

If clicking this link does not work, let me know. Regards, Keith.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nopWofBqwBKJ4yj8kJkmsfmrbbHpkJ2W?usp=sharing

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Todd

Rich Hartung I sent you a PM regarding the Universal Catalog that I have scanned and also lists all of the Northeast components and Norteast part numbers. Check you PM.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

On 11/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, desoto1939 said:

Todd

Rich Hartung I sent you a PM regarding the Universal Catalog that I have scanned and also lists all of the Northeast components and Norteast part numbers. Check you PM.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I never received your pm. I am still looking for the location of the serial number.  

56 minutes ago, Todd B said:

I never received your pm. I am still looking for the location of the serial number.  

Todd, The universal catlog convers cars and trucks starting at 1926 and goes to 1934. The 28 Dodge as you already may know uses Northeast electrical components. As you also may know these parts are hard to find at swap meets.  Under each year for each covered car or truck it lists the Northeast part number and a description of the part. Also there are pictures of each part later on in the catalog.

By having this info you are in a better opportunity to spot the correct Northeast part at any swap meet and this sometimes equates to a great saving in price since most vendors do not know what they if they do not have any cross reference catalog such as this catalog.  The catalog is 188 pages and has been scanned and would be on a CD.  The cost is $25 and includes the shipping to your home.

Let me know if you are interested. I can send you a sample page

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

Todd, The universal catlog convers cars and trucks starting at 1926 and goes to 1934. The 28 Dodge as you already may know uses Northeast electrical components. As you also may know these parts are hard to find at swap meets.  Under each year for each covered car or truck it lists the Northeast part number and a description of the part. Also there are pictures of each part later on in the catalog.

By having this info you are in a better opportunity to spot the correct Northeast part at any swap meet and this sometimes equates to a great saving in price since most vendors do not know what they if they do not have any cross reference catalog such as this catalog.  The catalog is 188 pages and has been scanned and would be on a CD.  The cost is $25 and includes the shipping to your home.

Let me know if you are interested. I can send you a sample page

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I will talk to my father-in-law about your catalog. He’s 83 years old and can fix just about anything with wire and duct tape. My guess is he won’t pay the 25 bucks to do it, but I do appreciate the offer. 

I found the plate for the serial number.   J-26920 

What does that number tell me?. Also what’s the little cap under the upper passenger floorboard, looks like it goes across the top of the transmission?

Thanks for the help guys. 

The SN tells us it is indeed a 1928 Dodge Brothers. Could have been built in late April 1928. J prefix seems to indicate it is a Standard 6 model.

See here: http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf

Do you have any pics you could share? We'd enjoy seeing the car. Thx.

Edited by keithb7

Pictures may have to wait till spring. My father-in-law is leaving tomorrow morning to head to Arizona for the winter. He’s got it all covered up this afternoon. It’s solid as a rock but has a driveway paint job on it. Interior looks extremely nice with one small mouse hole in it on the ceiling. He is a retired body man so he will paint it himself next spring. Motor and everything appears to all be there and very clean.  

Thanks again for all the help.

Do you know what type of brakes you have?

The pic above is also a Standard 6 model.  It has mechanical brakes. Steele-Draulic brand. The car is about 98% stock. SN also starts with “J”. 

An engine pic: 

D54670FB-6C99-4C94-9E41-55383B57C3FE.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

• 3 months later...

Looks like I will be spending more time on the car side. My father in law has been struggling with his vision and it sounds like it has become beyond repair.  This morning he said he would like to give the car to my wife and I because he knows I will respect it and take care of it. I am going to do my best to get it rolling down the road this spring to give them several rides before it’s too late. I will be asking several foolish questions because I have had only dodge pilot houses since 1980, never a dodge car (except a 72 charger). 

This is going to be a fun chapter in my life. 
Todd B

• Like 2

Hey Todd, Since your father in laws vision is going I stillwant to remind you about the very early Electrical catalog that I had informed you about a couple of months ago.  This lists all of the electrical components by either the Delco or Northeast part number and also the corresponding Dodge part number and there are also great pictures of the parts so you have a visual when trying to find these parts.

The pictures are worth the purchasing of the catalog and other pertainent information.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

There are no dumb questions Todd. Ask plenty! Some of the dumbest things I have ever done is charge along without asking any questions. Then I felt like a way bigger idiot when I broke stuff or failed to repair it. I look forward to seeing more info on your Dodge and some pics. 

Edited by keithb7

Todd, Nice to hear that your father-in-law has your support.?

Todd, nice looking 1928 Dodge........here in Oz we didn't really start getting closed cars till the very late 20's or early 30's, so its nice to see a clean looking original sedan....lol...........did I say that?.............I'm a hot rodder but can happily appreciate a nice stocker........regards from oz...........andyd

On 3/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, desoto1939 said:

Hey Todd, Since your father in laws vision is going I stillwant to remind you about the very early Electrical catalog that I had informed you about a couple of months ago.  This lists all of the electrical components by either the Delco or Northeast part number and also the corresponding Dodge part number and there are also great pictures of the parts so you have a visual when trying to find these parts.

The pictures are worth the purchasing of the catalog and other pertainent information.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

I pm you to call me.   I would like to purchase