First project car

jbadjones

Hello everybody! I have always been on the lookout for a project car and am thinking I found possibly a perfect one for me. Was going through some local ads and saw a 1947 Plymouth Coupe Special Deluxe. Never really cared about a particular make or model, I'm just of the mindset that older cars look better and had more style to them and have always wanted a classic. Don't care about show car quality, just want to be able to take it out for a leisure ride from time to time. 

Now, a little background. I am very budget conscious, not really great at mechanics and horrible at body work. I believe this project fits my bill pretty well but wanted some feedback. All body work is complete on the car. Could use wet sanding which I feel I would be capable of pulling off. 

The car sits on a Chevy  Nova chassis and has a 350 engine with 350 transmission. Car needs to be wired up, interior put back together (headliner, seats bolted in, etc.) I imagine the carb will need to be cleaned up and I'm sure there are a few other things that need cleaning/tinkering to get it to run right. New fuel tank, fuel pump, Hot Rod Wires wiring harness, new glass all the way around, lokar shifter, no rust, seats and door panels reupholstered waiting to be installed. Price is 5k. 

I am in no hurry to get this car completed and am looking at it as a project to keep me busy as I really don't have any hobbies and just spend most of my time on the internet and wasting time if we're being honest. Also, my son is in school for mechanical engineering and figured it would be nice to work on when he comes in from breaks and whatnot and would play into him getting some engine experience and troubleshooting. 

Does this sound like something to get into? Like I said, I think it fits me pretty well given the body work is done and everything is already in place, just needs to be wired up, stuff bolted on and it's ready to go (I know numerous things can go wrong). Anyway, glad I stumbled on this forum and look forward to catching up and learning more about these cars!! 

Sounds like a fun project, if it is as advertised.

You may want to find a decent mechanic to go with you to look at it ... hire and pay them even.

A frame off swap is a huge project, there is many ways it can go sideways. Where it will cost more to make it safe, then if you had a stock original car to begin with.

Quite often, picking up someone else's 1/2 finished project can be a nightmare ... if it was easy they would finish it and sell it for more money.

You can not here it run, you can not test drive it to see if the transmission works ... do they have the correct wiring harness to go with the engine/transmission ... if needed.

The list goes on, poor welding skills can kill you on a frame swap.

But it may be a good deal if the price is right, compare to a finished car that you can drive and see what you are getting. If unsure, pay a professional to look at it is my advice.

I agree with getting it checked out by a good mechanic. It could be almost road ready or a complete nightmare. If you’re not really looking for a hot rod,  the 5k should get you a good running unmolested stocker which I believe will be more reliable, less expensive and more fun in the long run.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you are into. I read Nova Chassis and 350 engine and tranny, and you lost me. $5K gets a pretty decent stock old Mopar to tinker on and learn.  The old Mopars make great cars for developing your skills. I am like you. Cost conscience, zero bodywork skills, getting there on my mechanic skills. More to go. I can't complain about the $2,600 (US dollars) 1938 Plymouth I bought. I am quite enjoying reviving it. Decent body, was running. Just needs care, time and some money. Like you, I am not looking to win any awards. Just go out and cruise, meet people and chat about old cars.  You found the right home for support for old Moaprs. Plenty of help here from a great group of people.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

All of the advice above is valid in my opinion.  For a first time project, the package you describe can become overwhelming before you get to the joy driving it.  Although I am a Hot Rod guy, starting with a fairly complete and running stocker may be a better starting point,....still plenty to work on and things to learn.  It's not rocket science to make a car of this vintage reliable, driveable, safe and  enjoyable as a project.  Lotsa good reference is available as well as help from forum too.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

I'm suspicious of the Nova chassis description.  The Nova is a unibody, the Plymouth is a body on frame design.  Just don't see how that is possible.  Lots of pictures will help the guys here evaluate the issues you may face.

Most likely a Nova front clip

Welcome to the forum.

I'm with most of these guys. An old running stocker is going to be more fun and easier to work on than a half finished project that doesn't run. With the old original pretty much all you need for tools is a Standard socket set and a open end boxed end wrench set from 1/4" to 3/4" and a couple of screwdrivers and you can do almost 98 percent of the work on the old cars. The only special tools I bought for mine is a drum puller , brake bleeder, timing light and a vacuum gage. IMHO save yourself the heart burn and get an old running original. It will be easier to figure out any problems and most on the forum have been there and done that with any problems/troubleshooting you might run into. Also you won't have to wonder why the PO was a dipstick with the way he did things.

Joe Lee

• Like 1