EMPI SPORTSTER BUILD

pflaming

3 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

. . . . your car is light enough that you could still pull it off the jack stands with that rig before they break loose . . .

Absolutely.

I'll bet it tried to "walk off" during the process.

I like the Coors beer can...

Should put a Jug in the bed and a spigot on the dash.  

picked up my fender extensions today. Will install yet tonight.Planning to paint on Friday. Brake drums are off, so will replace the cylinders and one axle seal. 

79ED3A8A-A6F6-46EE-98A5-D0C4F1261559.jpeg

ECA399AE-4307-4642-9428-179A72694E34.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

Yes, but not for long. Will cut them to conform.  Will trim, fit, and secure them today. I have a paint booth reserved for Friday. Plan to paint then and leave in the booth until Monday. Engine is ready, minor brake work, good tires and it’s a driver! About there.

Cortisone shot in my knee is starting to  get my leg pain free and strong. 

I trust all are virus free.  Normality will now start to return. 

Suburban. It is mechanically complete. On the truck, I have a spare good engine, so only need to do a swap. With help, a one day job. My knee and arthritis have significantly slowed me down, so will use the summer to get the suburban sold and the truck engine swapped. The virus issue, may keep us in California and go to Maine In the fall. 

Best to all. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today I coated the back side of the fenders with a rubber protectorate. Takes 24 - 48 hours to cure. In our heat, possibly closer to 24 hrs. It’s still tacky, by morning should be able to put it outside in the shade, still quite warm there, but direct sunlight might be too hot. Did it for sound deadening and rust control.

F56213C9-BAF2-4EEA-B5C0-4ED9651C382B.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

I hope the new rubber mounts solve the trans alignment problem. That will mean more than anything else at this point, to the project.

It would be good to know the frame horns aren’t bent up from past off-road adventures.

truthfully this is the only car that I've seen that if I owned it I would also most likely not paint it.  Patina paint isn't my thing at all but this VW just screams "Hippie".  I might even try and match the fender and running boards to the rest of the car.  If I was going to sell it I'd also paint it.

33 minutes ago, casper50 said:

truthfully this is the only car that I've seen that if I owned it I would also most likely not paint it.  Patina paint isn't my thing at all but this VW just screams "Hippie".  I might even try and match the fender and running boards to the rest of the car.  If I was going to sell it I'd also paint it.

I agree 100% The car is what it is ... The existing paint is perfect for it.

I hope you get the trans mount painted & installed soon. By rolling it on its wheels with the trans mounts out, it's trying to rip the front mount in half, as it shoves the trans up thru the fork bridge.

If the mount is weakened and you find the rubber cracked thru, the engine and trans must come out again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: most of the work has been on the harness. Since, a project, one off, car the harness had to be constructed in the car. That really pushed my limited knowledge but it’s done. Engine installation this weekend. Weather here now is 100+ through this entire week, 107 next three days! 

E1405435-89BC-4AB6-ACAD-2F1DBC579FD1.jpeg

835004DD-3DF5-40D8-B398-231BD45BF280.jpeg

663DFC5B-4F06-4199-8971-57764D9B916D.jpeg

9A0F053B-CDCA-4C7F-9A24-4F96B6A099B8.jpeg

3016FEE7-F100-4552-B952-BD2B9C25426F.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I’m glad that you’ve made progress on the wiring. I haven’t touched the wiring on my car as I’ve been working on everything else in the world first.

The weather has been desert hot as per normal this time of year. It does tend to divert one to indoor projects.

Started to install the engine today. Late in the day, discovered the front engine mount was installed backwards and upside down. That raised the transmission nose by nearly two inches which made it impossible to fit in. Will resolve that and “bobs your uncle” it may go together.

D80AA66E-0BB8-43CD-81EA-DAD3FBD0766D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

New parts are here. Bought this today for $35.00. Will modify to fit the Sportster. Suburban brake challenge and 103+/- weather has slowed the projects. Out early tomorrow morning.  Getting frustrated and anxious! 

A1A69601-2FCC-4D56-AD30-48B82EE1FC3A.jpeg

• Like 1