EMPI SPORTSTER BUILD

pflaming

Oh Paul that was was a bad one?

I've been there too..maybe once or twice ..don't want to remember those incidents.

I bless you're wound to heal quickly!

Thanks for showing so hopefully we will be more careful working on our old MoPars.?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: hand has healed, deep gash but flesh would only.  A Shriner 50 miles north of me is looking for a Shriner parade vehicle.. he contacted me and is coming to see the Empi this coming Thursday. Interesting!  Been working out feisty gremlins on the Suburban. Little things make a vehicle unsafe and are time consuming to find and resolve. 

I made some significant progress today. I can drive it, but not confident on some safety items. Love my floor shifter. So much better than on the tree in my opinion. 

to be continued on the other thread. 

4E44AD21-A70C-4081-9E39-7646214BE173.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Shriner did not show.  New rear fenders and progress on the dash and wiring. I added a tachometer and mounted the ignition switch in the wood panel. Engine install in place tomorrow. Added some lux rings and set in the seats. 

The back end of the fenders will require some cosmetic work, in hindsight, I should have included that back piece. Sometimes a good closer neighbor would be nice. Casper 50 and Bob Riding have been VERY helpful. 

16605683-6B2E-4871-B717-29332489E5B5.jpeg

5BC9140E-C7D1-4725-8B84-8D956699DAE7.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

• 2 weeks later...

Not today. Sorry!  New brake lines, master cylinder, electrical wiring completed yesterday. Fuel tank next then engine. Last, finish the new fenders. Getting there. 

lunch today, looking forward to that. 

That Empi is a fur piece from the Fiberfab jobs I'm more familiar with. I wanted an Ocelot kit, which was a lot like the Manx, but it had swoopier side panels:, more attractive for street trim.

Edited by Ulu

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. Mine is coming along, we just spent 10 days with my brother in Henderson (Las Vegas) NV. Will be back in the shop tomorrow.  The engine is ready to be installed. 

630CED55-72B3-4874-B01D-AD3C6944506D.jpeg

C34451C9-F271-4D92-BA7A-5DBA52BC65BD.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

815CE83B-495F-42B1-B3D5-F4D572518B26.jpeg.81c746f8fdcaf5c8bb4acf02c76bc162.jpeg815CE83B-495F-42B1-B3D5-F4D572518B26.jpeg.81c746f8fdcaf5c8bb4acf02c76bc162.jpegMade some bed rails today. After they dry, I’ll install. Metal work is next. Don’t work very fast anymore. 

6402F89C-5B04-4D34-9E33-B38B0DDBFDC0.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

About done with the bed. The bed sprayed with bed liner which has a texture finish. Will ad castle nuts,  a cross rod to tie it together, and. bolt the stakes to the body. 

00F528AA-151A-4FDB-96E8-E3BDF4AE3684.jpeg

E1A48D7F-1211-4E47-9C4E-8530BE00F607.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you put the new rubber trans mounts on the frame?

Were you able to get the rubber boots? They should only go on after the mounts.

And, The vehicle should be loaded until the swing axles level out, before boot installation..

It might want a torsion bar adjustment too, depending on how it sits when finished.

Ulu, haven’t worked with the parts yet. Bed is essentially done, will be welding on the body next. At only three to four hours a day, progress is slower, but I’m getting there.  Will get another cortisone shot in my right knee next week. 

I see by the number that some are watching this thread. I’m proceeding very slowly theses days. Yet I am still in the shop about 4 hrs a day. Yesterday I srartedto. Trick out the bed. I will use this for my fuel for the time being. I’m working body  sheet metal now. 

A2B98884-5FB9-42BE-81F4-9FDAE3ECA991.jpeg

Sportster is on stands for brake repair. I pulled one front drum today. Drum has no wear marks and shoes look usable. I have new cylinder kits so will replace them.

any suggestions? 

F00655E4-C3C8-42BB-AEF3-CBE7B12C1C39.jpeg

I'd definitely go through the cylinders, pull the shoes off and clean up the backing plates and make sure the adjusters work.  I'd like to see new lines run and the master rebuilt as well.  Shoes and drums should be OK if as stated.  I'd take some good, clear photos  of each after each corner is done for documentation when selling.

I removed one front  cylinder, inside clean and smooth. It’s tempting to go with them, but since I have new will go new.  The back drums must come off anyway to connect the e brake cables. New MC and new lines are already in.

i finished my top rack only to discover the rear roll bar must be higher to allow for headroom. So brakes tomorrow, then new or modified rear roll bar. Now the struts on the rack may come up short, will address that when I get there. 

Been a fun project. 

771145D2-EC26-452D-85FD-D25A3E33D7DD.jpeg

82334583-8108-489B-B3BE-2F8126DD1A12.jpeg

I though you were an older gentleman Paul?

New cylinders are installed.  Not a difficult task. I’m making some oak corner mounts for the top rack. Cardboard test pieces shown. Will install the engine tomorrow. Getting very close.

F90D3F3B-A5F1-4753-A1EE-0B8277492C38.jpeg

3F6D878D-E66C-475D-BF59-81810161CE79.jpeg

Edited by pflaming