hood release catch

jerrydog1

A nightmare to be sure.  You should be able to reach up through the grille and manipulate the lever which the cable pulls on.  On cars without the cable, the end of this lever is  extended below the latch so it can be pushed through the grill opening to open the hood.  It may be possible to look up from underneath in front of the radiator.  Perhaps someone will be kind enough to post a photo of what the latch looks like with the hood open.

OK, so here is the situation. The engine on my 49 Windsor is seized up from not running for years, but was running when it was parked 5-6 years ago(from what the seller told me.) I ordered new rod beaings, piston rings, etc to refurbish the original engine. Well, now I went out to open the hood and start working on the old car, and the cable broke for the hood latch!!! Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get this thing open!? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

•  

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

De Soto Frank    4

•  
  • De Soto Frank
  • Members
  • 2,681 posts

If you take a good flashlight and look in through the grille, just to the left of the center, you should see the lever where the cable attaches; you can take a 1/4" or 5/16" rod or similar thing and carefully feed it through the grille, get it seated against the lever ,and give it a push towards the rear of the car... this should release the main latch.

If you meet resistance, you might need to have a helper push-down on the crown of the hood while you try to release the latch.

Sorry that the cable broke; good luck on the engine overhaul

I have an old screw driver about 6 inches long which I have heated and bent to form a curve at the bottom, and then ground a "V" in the end to catch the lever.

Curious why you ordered parts without inspecting the engine first, but that may be discussion for another post.  Good luck getting the hood opened.

There is a pretty good picture of the latch and cable on this link

https://www.mecum.com/lots/KC0312-123876/1950-chrysler-windsor/

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, greg g said:

Without hammers saws and other destructive implements?

I just used a 9 inch flatbar & bent the bar over slightly to get access to the hood latch & hey presto hood latch released, what an encounter but very relieved & happy know that I,m able to charge the battery & be driving the car ,

again many thanks for all your advice,

On my 1950 chryslers I don't generally use the hood release handle...I found it quicker and easier to reach thru the grille and pull the cable.

Just the way I've done it for years.

A 49 Chrysler not possible?