1951 B3F Build Thread

Lingle

Hello all!  I found this website after being gifted a Dodge Pilothouse truck and can say that its been a awesome experience looking at all this knowledge and possible help forums.  My inlaws gifted the wife and I a 1951 Dodge B3F (found this based on the Vin decoder information available) that hasn't ran in over 20 years.  We are planning to keep the look of the truck(frame/chassis, sheetmetal/body, and hopefully wheels) but replace everything else.  Engine will be replaced with a Detroit 4-53T 2 stroke diesel backed by a NV4500, dually rear axle from a Ford F350 and really tempted to do a 4WD conversion since it will be a daily driver as much as possible.  I look forward to documenting this project here and getting some feedback from you all!

Ill add some photos from my phone so they are smaller and fit the file size limits here.

5511BED4-0D3C-4B03-86F3-495B9F5CA5D7.jpeg

Edited by Lingle
Added photos
  • Like 3

just ordered some new parts, got a complete cab(mostly needed doors and steering wheel horn) and front clip from a seller in MN for $1750, don't really know if its a good deal but I needed new fenders and doors so hopefully they are in good shape when they arrive!  These are the first parts I have ordered, little excited about this!

• Like 1

Awesome! I use an iphone app called diptic it lets you do photo layouts or just single pics but when you are done and hit save if you select the smallest resolution it saves at a perfect size for here. 

More pics!! And good luck on that $$$ sheetmetal gamble

Looked at the truck tonight while disassembly, anyone know this heater?  I think it says Arir 19 or maybe 79?  Thoughts?  Sorry for the sideways look, my iPhone and iPad rotate the photo and I can't figure out how to stop it 

A2FAFC83-B3DA-4C7C-AE21-5D53BDAD0DD3.jpeg

• Like 1

got some work done yesterday before the trick or treaters stopped by.  Making good progress removing sheet metal without major issues of cutting or breaking bolts.  Plan is to remove the engine and transmission and sell it(will post this in the correct area) but a question about engine removal, it looks like in the rear mounts of the engine may be wedged in or just removing the 4 horizontal bolts, and corresponding 2 bolts up front, will allow for the engine to be removed?  I have a manual coming on Monday but thought Id ask this group as well.  Ideally remove the engine and trans together so they can be sold as a pair.

Here are some photos of the partially disassembled front, will add here from iPhone, havent figured out how to downsize photos on Windows to upload yet

57480A96-3D5E-46B8-BB01-2092355F31AD.jpeg

Edited by Lingle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lingle said:

will add here from iPhone, havent figured out how to downsize photos on Windows to upload yet

I think you can use windows app called paint to downsize the photos. Might be easier to go into your camera settings and just set the photo size smaller, then you wont need to resize them later.

Got some work done on the truck yesterday in a hurry to get it in the shop before snow flies.  Getting colder here in NE Iowa.  Got the engine removed and cab free.  Need some help identifying the engine.  Per the manual I got a 236.6(237) cubic inch 6 cylinder but there is only a "X" on the location I suspected the engine SN to be.  Anyone know why this is?  as seen in the photo there is no marking.  if you look close, it shows a X.

Also, I will post it accordingly, but what does a 236.6 engine usually sell for?  I have no need for the engine nor the 4 speed transmission so will be selling and wanted to understand what they are usually worth.

This is a fun project for sure.

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

Edited by Lingle
added engine photo

1 hour ago, Lingle said:

Got some work done on the truck yesterday in a hurry to get it in the shop before snow flies.  Getting colder here in NE Iowa.  Got the engine removed and cab free.  Need some help identifying the engine.  Per the manual I got a 236.6(237) cubic inch 6 cylinder but there is only a "X" on the location I suspected the engine SN to be.  Anyone know why this is?  as seen in the photo there is no marking.  if you look close, it shows a X.

Also, I will post it accordingly, but what does a 236.6 engine usually sell for?  I have no need for the engine nor the 4 speed transmission so will be selling and wanted to understand what they are usually worth.

This is a fun project for sure.

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

WARP SPEED SCOTTY!  :P  Sorry, couldn't resist!

• Like 1

Got a better photo of the engine pad where the serial number should be.  As seen below in the non-"warp speed Scotty" :) photo the pad is blank minus a single X.  Was this a replacement engine?

-Brandon

IMG_3159.JPG

Did you carefully look at the top of the engine serial number pad?

I can relate to that.

Here..Seattle area if we get 1" of snow everything gets shut down. Everyone stays home and won't go outside.

• Like 1

Good chance that is a replacement engine/block.  Serial should be there and start with a "T".  I know...my pad is blank (no "X"!) since I know the engine was swapped with a car engine from a 56 car.

• Like 1

so you guys were right, I cleaned off the area on the top of the pad and BINGO, there was the engine SN.  

IMG_3168.JPG

so from the following website I get that this engine is: 

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html 

T314 236ci or 251ci 25 inches Dodge Truck B-3-FL, B-4-FL, B-3-F, B-4-F, B-3-FA 1951-1953

I believe this is a 236.6ci engine.  

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the top of the block.

Edited by Lingle
  • Like 1