inner door handle pins

Sniper

Did a search, nothing came up, found lots if how to take the pins out of the door and window handles.  Not really what I needed though.

My son and I put some side view mirrors on the 51 yesterday and in the process found out that three of the four pins that hold the handles on were not pins, one was a bit of a nail, two were portions of an allen key and one may actually have been the correct pin. 

So the questions is, does anyone know the specs of these pins so I can bet the correct ones?  They look to be straight pins so diameter and length is all I need I guess?

Ditto.  By the time you find any, you can make several yourself.  Length is the same as the outside width of where the shaft fits into the handle, across the holes for the pin in the handle.  On our '48 D24 they're 5/8th of an inch long, 1/8th of an inch in diameter.  Nothing special about the pins, a couple I made out of nails as TodFitch did, and at least one out of a broken drill bit.  Cut them to the right length, file any burrs off the ends, and presto. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert
Typo

I've got a posting here sometime back. 

I had trouble getting the pins back in to the door handles and window cranks, because of the spring-loaded escutcheons.   

So I found a brass hobby tubing the right diameter, to use as pins, and short nail lengths that would fit insidethe tubing and support it.

I would use a nail to pin the handle in place, pushing back the escutcheon.  Then I would slide a short length of tubing into the handle or crank. 

Then I would remove the nail and insert the short length of nail into the tubing.

Works slick.    

I think the original door handle pins are slightly bigger on one end, but haven't looked at one for awhile.  Have seen nails used - the head kept

them from falling through.

I bought a set of these pins on eBay. They were the same fit as the originals - at least they matched the ones that were in my car. Both old and new fit a bit loose when I reassembled. They wanted to slip out. That issue was resolved when I installed the inside handles and springs. That keeps the pins in their place. I've had no issues with them.

Pete