1951 Coronet Window Replacement

Dan Heston

The 51 is coming along nicely.  We just cleaned up the old busted out glass from the bottom channels and got it ready for the new side glass kit that I bought from Balls Vintage Glass in Florida.  I got a quote for $1200 from a glass shop here in Arizona that specializes in vintage installs and I decided to do the job solo.  So I got the mechanisms greased and its smooth. I fitted the glass in the lower channels and because I left the original C channel in the car (glad I did now) the windows are fairly tight when rolled up. 

So here's the question, the old sweeps were stapled in. Is there an alternative to new staples through metal? Also, I am hoping to use adhesive for the C channel on top if that seems like a good idea.  Any guidance is welcomed. Thanks.

the old sweeps are a pain to try to fit what is available today as a replacement.  there is only on company making these fuzzy strip regardless of where you buy them.  they are generic and to mount these with stapes, you will have to have the stapler.  To simulate, you will need to fit and be able to punch the hole in the fuzzy where the original fit and find a good grade of wire to make a simulated staple for to fold when in the original punched holes.  Other glue this with RTV but this will do two things if you should need to go into the door again, first is ruin your paint, second is run the fuzzy for the most part.  third option and the one I use is to adapt clip from other cars of the era that are readily available and low cost and make these strip an easy snap-in fix.  Go to Restoration Specialties online catalog and view their selection of wipers and clips to select what may work best for you.  

Thank you very much for the info.  I think stapling is my last resort.  I'll go to that sweep manufacturer and buy a few lengths.  For the outside sweeps there are tiny little clips so the only staples are on the sweeps attached to the painted inside window trim.

those tiny little V looking clips..with the splayed ends?.....lots of luck getting these to align to the existing holes at the same time aligning to the internal metal webbing that the fuzzy is molded around....keep in mind any place these hole align to the strip...your clip will need to align and if not the splayed end will be pulled from the strip as they MUST center to the very hole you snapping these onto....this is why so many folks as a last ditch effort glue these in place....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I usually use the small rivets only on the vertical divider for the vent glass....and that will depend on the very seal you are using.....I think getting a rivet gun in place may be the issue...on the garnish this will work....on the door shell...thinking restricted access...