265 Chrysler Industrial Project Engine

Loren

Hi Frank

I really wanted that Shanafelt!

I was going make a thin adapter plates so my Bendix-Stromberg WW carburetors would fit (they have a four bolt pattern).

The Edmunds was mis-labeled as a Chevy manifold and not worth nearly as much as a Chrysler.

Tom Langdon uses Offenhauser Chevy 216 manifolds modified to fit the Chrysler. He buys them for $300+ then re-works them. I am sure he has to get close to what I paid or more.

His Weber/Motorcraft carburetors are then mounted on 2 to 1 adaptors like I will have to do with the Edmunds.

Oh well I will get over it.

• Like 1

Great News!

I have been in contact with the gentleman who has been selling the new Thickstun/Tattersfield Plymouth manifolds on eBay.

He reports that Frank Boran the man who is making the Plymouth manifold we have much admired, is dusting off the patterns for the Chrysler/DeSoto manifold!

He expects to have them in production later this year.

He has placed my name on the list of potential buyers...so there is a list and if you might want one you really should get on the list.

I'd go to eBay, search for Thickstun Intake Manifold find the new Plymouth manifolds and then contact seller to get on the list.

If you're not sure about the Thickstun, then type in Offenhauser intake Manifold and see what they look like....you'll want the Thickstun believe me.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, HotRodTractor said:

I'd love to see some pictures of the fuel pump and hydraulic pump setup.

I also have a 265 Industrial engine (block was cast in 1967). It has a chain driven cam and has a hydraulic pump mounted and driven off the front of the crank (I also have a 230 Industrial that is setup the same way...). I haven't stripped mine down yet - not sure if I will - it has good compression, runs well, and came out of a combine that only had 300 hours on the hour meter.... I kind of believe it too.... the farm that had it must of bought it in 1968, and by 1974 they were bankrupt and sold everything except for 15 acres about 9 of it was tillable ground. They did continue to make some wheat and soybeans up until 2005 on that ground - not sure when they stopped using the combine though, it was several years before that point.

I also have a Industrial 230, powers my 1969 Pettibone Forklift.  Awesome machine, and runs fantastic!

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Great News!

I have been in contact with the gentleman who has been selling the new Thickstun/Tattersfield Plymouth manifolds on eBay.

He reports that Frank Boran the man who is making the Plymouth manifold we have much admired, is dusting off the patterns for the Chrysler/DeSoto manifold!

He expects to have them in production later this year.

He has placed my name on the list of potential buyers...so there is a list and if you might want one you really should get on the list.

I'd go to eBay, search for Thickstun Intake Manifold find the new Plymouth manifolds and then contact seller to get on the list.

If you're not sure about the Thickstun, then type in Offenhauser intake Manifold and see what they look like....you'll want the Thickstun believe me.

Great news for sure!  I got lucky and bought up some extra George Ashe Junior manifolds for both engines.  I just wish that I could find a cool manifold for my straight 8....

On 10/27/2019 at 11:49 PM, Loren said:

When I bought the 265 I also bought a 237.

Today I got it apart and found that its is in beautiful shape.

The crank is standard and the pistons have the DPCD stamp on the top.

It has sodium cooled valves which I was surprised to see.

Another thing that surprised me is that under the Brass Chrysler industrial tag I found that it was painted silver before it was painted Industrial red.

The purist in my nature wondered if I should repeat this odd situation.

When I get the 265 crank back its going in the 237 block with .010 over pistons.

There's an old fellow nearby who has a pretty incredible warehouse full of NOS parts (for all cars).

I am pretty certain he has most of the parts I need. When I get to talking to him I'll find out more.

Please let us know if he has some parts that we can buy the off of him.  

• Thanks 1

His name is Lester J. Harris.

He is a resident of Northern Nevada and has about 2 warehouses full of old car parts the vast majority of which are brand new.

He also has a 1938 Dodge so he speaks MoPar fluently.

He bought a large part of his inventory when Mcquay-Norris auctioned off its inventory after a merger in 1969.

You might find a couple of youtube interviews with him, so you get to see the man who will pick up the phone when you call.

(775)267-2559

• Thanks 1

On those Thickstun intakes, might be wise to keep in touch with the seller.  The batch he had before this last one for the 23" engines sold out before I got one, so I emailed him and he said he'd be running off another batch towards the end of January and would email when they were ready.  Never got an email but did check Ebay regularly and saw they we back, got one.  I tis one sweet looking manifold.

1 hour ago, Loren said:

His name is Lester J. Harris.

He is a resident of Northern Nevada and has about 2 warehouses full of old car parts the vast majority of which are brand new.

He also has a 1938 Dodge so he speaks MoPar fluently.

He bought a large part of his inventory when Mcquay-Norris auctioned off its inventory after a merger in 1969.

You might find a couple of youtube interviews with him, so you get to see the man who will pick up the phone when you call.

(775)267-2559

I've been to Lester's a couple times...

House and warehouse...years ago..

He's got to be 90 by now...

I gave an old Atwater-Kent distributor for a Model T to a friend of mine. (they were an accessory. Model Ts had a timer and vibrator coils originally)

He grabbed my Dad and off they went to see Mr Harris.

You know he went through his books and found a cap & rotor, a set of points & a condenser for that old thing!

All the parts fit something else but they were exact replacements, he had to cross over several ignitions to get there though.

I learned thirty years ago when I moved here you never know what you'll find around here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

An update.

Received the last 25" Edgy head for sale. I convinced myself I wasn't going to buy a replacement aluminum head but then I suckered up when I saw there would be no more of them.

Have ARP studs for the mains and the cylinder head on order. $230 (thanks to James Douglas for the part numbers)

Put in a good order with Vintage Power Wagons for bits and pieces I didn't have. One item that caught my eye was a Stainless Steel Water Distribution Tube.

The machine shop is toiling away on the engine and could be finished soon.

Rockauto has the reverse gear oil pump I needed for the gear drive cam (turns backwards to a chain driven cam) that's on it's way. When you look at their online catalog be sure to check every year of every model a part fit on. Somehow their application lists are incomplete.

I bought a Thickstun Chevy 216 Intake Manifold (reproduction). The ports are the same size but the out board ones are 1/4" out of place. The idea was to make flanges with short tubes then weld them to the manifold. I am using 4" diameter stock 3" long for the outer ends and 4" x 2" for the inner port. This part of the project involves moving a TIG welder from my old shop to my house. Took some cleaning to make the space, so it's all good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Covid 19 promises to slow my project.

So...I thought I'd do a mock up just to keep the juices flowing and work out some issues.

Edited by Loren
not loaded properly

58 minutes ago, kencombs said:

What app is needed to open that file extension?  I don't have anything on my computer that recognizes it.

little bit of playing, here on linux I can open almost anything. I tried to convert to jpeg, pdf and simply the file itself has issues and not the file extension.

To answer your question, windows photo viewer should open it for you .... still I think is bad file not a issue on your end.

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

little bit of playing, here on linux I can open almost anything. I tried to convert to jpeg, pdf and simply the file itself has issues and not the file extension.

To answer your question, windows photo viewer should open it for you .... still I think is bad file not a issue on your end.

Figured it out.  That is the latest Apple way of being unique.  And W10 photo viewer will open it:  ONLY if you have the latest, just released update that includes that conversion routine.  Now I can see it.

Edit: but not from the forum link directly.  Have to download the file and then double click on it. 

Edited by kencombs

I ran into a problem with the photos. Taken with an iPhone they were supposed to update to the cloud, which means all of my devices should have had them. Apple doesn't tell you but sometimes it's painfully slow.

So let's try it again.

B7B9F865-0A2A-44FA-98AC-6A1AAD356B17.heic 836F9A35-E10A-4ECC-A987-E5E53AEFDD79.heic

The air cleaner is a Summit Racing house brand item. All cast aluminum it weights a ton. The makers give you two choices of 4 barrel sized bottom plates. Those were so thin and tinny I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum sheet.

The manifold is a reproduction Thickstun for a 216 Chevy. I have no idea if such a design works any better than just a plain log manifold, but it sure looks wild.

The holes at the front and rear port are thru holes. Reminds me of the old "Ski-ball" games at the beach amusement park back in the 1950s.

I have to turn then mill some billets for the port runners, then weld them on the manifold. The outer ports are 1/4" closer together than the Chevy.

This gives me the chance to line everything up and put the right flanges on the runners.

For the photo the manifold is held in place by two big washers on the center port.

I am not too keen on the Edgy head. You can see two deep voids in the casting thru the thermostat hole (with no idea of what you can't see). If I decide to use it, I am going to take the assembled engine back to the machine shop and have them run a ceramic coating thru the  water jacket. As a backup I have two iron heads.