54 C1C6 Build

CO54

28 minutes ago, bkahler said:

Looking good. 

I guess I better get that adapter plate done pretty soon :)

Gotta get MC 1st for dimensions. Will let you know kind sir. Already got the 3/16" line for everything.

• 1 month later...

Some updates, been too hot at times to really get work done on the truck.  The downfall of living at 6500' and getting 300 days of clear skies and sunshine a year. Fortunately the 8x12, 4 sided awning will be delivered soon. Got the rear axle installed, still gotta get the u-bolts and spring mounts aligned properly and torqued. Started working on the cab with cleaning, prepping and a quick rattle can primer for protection.  Still more to do on the cab, but progress. Got the MC adapter plate from Brad for a perfect fit.  Did the test fit and it's going to be perfect. THANKS BRAD!!!  I know there will be some color scheme comments, but I decided to do the firewall black at this time, because I've already got the inner fenders painted black.  Things are moving though, still collecting parts for the rear axle brakes.  Got shocks ordered yesterday after seeing they dropped in price on Amazon from 35 per to 24 per too. 

y4mpI8zuxCaRXe-OmmiNjTdVm0ZRzgbuRZG7m7d1

y4mTi7gRyVbTinpJG9y-xWZ3oHUQoRejh_XrWreA

y4mx2-7QFXOC7aBTIp7BSgZduZdL1ASAqMiFKJU5

y4m0Lk-VEzYOORfDkXgHoJS1gYCFKWtgSYfcDe9h

Just gotta keep pushing along, also slowly been getting parts to get the engine up and running on a test stand to make sure that's 100%. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No pics this time, been a busy Anniversary week.  Took the week off, for time with the wife, time with the kids, and working on the truck.  Got on horse for the first time in my life for a 2 hour ride. Had a great time and felt it the next day.  Got the front rotors cleaned up, calipers installed, and all flex lines installed.  Mounted the bad outta box MC I ordered "bad clip on the cover? so I can start bending brake lines.  Still waiting on the rear rotors, pads, and calipers, but the hard lines can get done once the rear flex lines show up. 

On 8/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, CO54 said:

Got on horse for the first time in my life for a 2 hour ride. Had a great time and felt it the next day.

I thought the horse was supposed to do all the work.  ?

• Like 1

New challenge today!!! I did some practice flaring for brake lines, and decided to degrease and clean up some parts for the frame.  Hit a SNAG after cleaning up the steering linkage that comes off the pitman arm of gear box to left drag link then connects to right side for steering. After cleaning, I started moving ball joints around to verify smooth operation before new grease.  The ball joint with nut on it, was locked up and only has limited movement. The other side will move freely without the center mounting point moving at all. The side with nut is locked up with minimum movement from side to side, and the center shaft will spin freely regardless of location.  My question, is there a service that can be done to salvage?  PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I know this part is made of unobtanium! 

y4mrozxi4JZvZEhQDOSGU1gh9PJGzoXzNkUAM8ED

y4mFWKpJ5SMC2WZMIYx7yur-lznflR9_xht9_VKR

y4mPeRsT612ZD3NTrPxX28j-WAjtcgnRnmAYChpQ

y4myA9sFQJbyFws5lcdY3ZOch2vXbPr2yrYRgkGv

I know we have a gang of smart folks here, please help with this new development, so I can move forward with confidence.

Thank You!

Eric

I am most definitely not a ball joint expert.  I'm wondering if you could try removing the zerk so you start spraying penetrating fluid or something similar and just working the joint.  Maybe there's just a bunch of dried gritty grease inside.  Once you get whatever might be in there then try re-greasing to see what happens.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I would take the zerk fitting out and immerse that end in ATF.  Just let it soak for a few days, then try moving it.  ATF is a great penetrate and cleaner.   heating before immersion will help too.   A heat gun is appropriate to that as you can't overheat like a torch might.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input!  I'm going to pull the zerk fitting and soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours. See what we have then.  Good chance it's some nasty grease, hopefully not a mechanical issue inside. The service manual doesn't have anything on this part at all. 

Starting new thread for steering link ball joint issue. However I got some pictures of the shocks and brake flex lines. 

y4mr8pd2TbI9wk6mn4EDcocFbj5a7FAs-k9G4hgg

y4mwFvpsthaHnEgRMgCiuBeCQiPxfSfXg1LtWqYs

y4mE67bayFuSuxvL8DNvcTvtHugAtOCjMiKlZXiP

Yes, I know I need to do some weeding in the rocks, just been too hot. 

• Like 1

Hard lines are in to the flex lines, with the exception of rear axle lines to calipers. Ran out of fittings, gotta have something for tomorrow.  Used the bad MC I got for mock up, will get the good one bench bled and installed to check for leaks at fittings.  It's not perfect, but neither was the original lines. y4mlMPo2TijQaGvVRBo_Q5VUndmBicxV6DK-xw8X

y4mPoK4A_qDwSdgsmatz0n5XwofDek-BaBYwanUy

y4mErlEOJyR4cmEx9ZbqmBOQDJ1cImfFUjmXiBc4

y4mklcTw0ni795w6eV2blHIgcksgVpErSq981TKn

y4mrtWw5nQhbsUQHVCSo01olhovJGl0QZHHZImbn

y4mICY0lH0-3dS6S5N1Jiuz2h6pnFNDUTsPNXXxf

This Copper/Nickel stuff is so much easier to work with than Stainless too. 

Thanks. 

Eric

• Like 1

I'm using a pressure switch into the MC on opposite side of the front line. Has clearance from the frame and the rear line. 

y4mo_p4pZxUlEWDEWYuoKkwpfpxIOCEnok0OE4Lr

Edited by CO54
Add pic
  • Like 2

Well, I cleaned out the local parts store. They had 1 fitting I needed, and wasn't in the mood to drive all over town. Got the long line on rear axle installed, and ordered a 12 pack of fittings from Amazon, we'll see about the next day shipping since I have tomorrow off.  Once the last hard line is bent and installed, I'm thinking about using the bad MC that's currently installed to try bleeding and checking for leaks prior to final MC install.  Yes, I know I'll have to bleed the lines twice, but would rather get any leaks addressed now, than down the road.  Input on my method of madness?  The bad MC has a bad spring clip for lid retention, that's what makes it bad btw. y4mHLea9XiB5Nm-VfxztQA9eqd2lO8QxlYxs7WTu

y4m0qt_AJNcOZVGzavlb4JS_v4FXAjg2-JF1Wamq

y4m_gMqECgSNmcu3S5do1GHrnwSe7naa8g2vkzZp

Thanks, 

Eric

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

No brake line to the left wheel? 

Ran out of 3/8 x 24 IFF fittings, more arrive today for the last line.  Cleaned out the local parts store yesterday, and didn't feel like driving all over town. 

2 hours ago, bkahler said:

I like the adapter for the rear brake hoses to hard lines.

I used the brake fitting/line for the Grand Cherokee axle to keep the axle vent in place. It worked out nicely being a good length and easy fit to the original location. 

Parts arrived, last line is in.  Happy with how it turned out. 

y4mdRVjliVRBgat61mfGkV-adn7I41HASl2Uprlg

y4m76wzRWP_jle3-8IKntuyeVTC75xXpFXNcm1--

y4mSuv3NGP7h0pTXFftEe6u3gAmZmBPpj41ZXZBE

Do I need to worry about this joint on the front coming into the engine compartment?

y4mCha4Id-NMMIKlBnjjfr9msPqU-pwxE56248Nu

Thanks. 

Eric

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Opened up steering gear box yesterday after getting some confidence from DrFate77, and a few others that post regularly with an abundance of knowledge.  Prior to opening up, I noticed a rough spot at about 2 turns from a lock to lock of 5 turns.  Soaked some parts overnight in cleaner, and sprayed the rest down with brake clean today.  Found some pitting on the worm gear, but it's not rough or hanging a finger nail or micro fiber cloth. Should I be concerned???  Looking for insight. Truth be told, not wanting to have the ordeal or expense that Bkahler went through on his build with another country.

Replacement seals for the housing already ordered along with the corn grease, will probably be looking for a universal O-ring for the last seal needed.  

Thanks.

Eric

y4mWjAJ6nagzeoOF8wyq7-DTVcXHifr7tOaXwrw8

y4mlJKm0XOwRWEaQMSXLrAWfH1xtlvDlM6ZT5zVY

y4mqk5MX5ejvvn0BZZEosLY51w_YuO25MFME63KM

Thanks again.

Eric