changing 1949 plymouth trans.

ratrodcharle

Will the floor shift type dodge truck transmission from the late 40s early 50's bolt up and work on my 1949 plymouth flathead six. The motor is in a 1917 roadster and I'm looking for a floor shift transmission.

Will I need to change flywheel/clutch/ bellhousing also over to the dodge parts or will the dodge trans bolt up to my plymouth bellhousing/ clutch set up. Is the main shaft the same amount of splines on the plymouth clutch and the dodge clutch.

3 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Mr. Gasket and Hurst make floor shifters that would work. Just might have to do some modifying or fab for your car.

I'm not aware of any current production shifter kits that work with selector transmissions.  Olds, Pontiac and Mopar selectors have never been popular with the kit makers. 

I cannot think of a worse swap .  If you install a non synchro trans from a 1940s truck you will ruin  the driveability your car and the tear up  will reduce your resale value to scrap.

instead consider an S 10 or similar 5 speed if that is what you want.   but keep this in mind :  

The original trans in your car was one of the best in its day and can be fitted with a BW Overdrive

found in Plymouths from 52 to 56 .  This is a simple bolt for bolt swap, no tear up at all.

Here is a ‘49 Dodge 4-speed truck trans in a ‘52 Plymouth. I bought the car like this and have since replaced the bellhousing and will be swapping to a ‘52 OD trans soon. You can see how much cutting has to be done to the floor to get everything to clear. In addition, the truck starter has to be used and it is about 15% larger than the car version and makes a nightmare of rerouting the oil lines to the filter (if equipped). Lastly, the trans isn’t synchronized, so double clutching, or grinding are about your only options. I am with this group in identifying and easier to install transmission.

3131D399-2373-4DB2-9A7D-CBA371D8A580.jpeg

E9DC94CB-E6C2-43D1-817C-6D230FB29267.jpeg

20 hours ago, ratrodcharle said:

The motor is in a 1917 roadster and I'm looking for a floor shift transmission.

I dont blame you for your choice, I think the 3 speed truck transmission would make a nice period correct hot rod. Be nice to see pics of it  :)

I imagine it would be the same trans as the earlier cars with the 3 speed floor shift.

I also believe  that in the past, that sometimes dodge trucks would use plymouth engines to get rid of last years inventory.

I am pretty sure you wont have any problems, assuming that neither one was attached to a fluid drive. The bell housing clutch input shaft should all be the same.

But I have never done this swap myself.

you may also consider a synchronized passenger car  trans from 35 to 38  and you will need the bell housing  which goes with it.

Simple, strong and compared to the truck light weight.