1947 chrysler royal colour code

harmony

The car club I just joined is working on a car that they recently bought. It's a 1947 Chrysler Royal coupe.  It will be going on display for people to sit in at a local hospital to help people with alzheimer's , which is a very cool idea.  Anyways we're trying to determine what the original colour was. The plate is completely different from my 48 Windsor but it's in the same place on the firewall. The plate on the 47 shows the code as being 4001.  But my understanding is that the codes go from 1-43, skipping a few numbers in between.  Right now the car is black and the firewall is also black but I don't think black was an available colour in 47. I've tried to make out the trim # but all I can make out is a B and then perhaps 0 in the middle 2 positions.  Is it possible that since 01 is part of the stamped in code, that it might me code #1 which would be Military Blue.  Or could it be a code #4, which is Heather Green.  The Ditzler PPG paint code for Heather green is 40019.  So that's sort of similar.

1947 id plate.jpg

If you remove the tag what color is underneath it? Maybe that is the original paint and would be the original color underneath.

Also, what color are the door jambs and the bottoms of the doors? Sometimes a car may be painted but these places are not  - leaving the original color intact

That is probably an export car.

Maybe Canadian.

I can only look at US codes.

Code 15 is Black...all 1946-48 US cars.

I've come to the conclusion that this car was originally Black, as it is now. I removed that plate in the picture and it's black underneath it. Cross supports between the back seat and trunk are black. Every inch of painted surface on the car is Black and no indication at all that it was ever repainted.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:40 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

4001 on a 1947 from Canada would be black....

Good to know.  Do you know if there is a place online to find Canadian paint code references?  I'm curious to find out what the trim codes might be.  I think the second of the 4 digits is either an 8 or a B.  The next two might both 0's. But the first digit is a mystery.

When I got my 1938 Dodge Brothers truck, it had been completely stripped and primered. I got the build card from Chrysler Historic which had the paint code on it. I wrote to them to ask what the paint codes meant, and they said they don't have that info any more. They did say the default color then was dark blue.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete said:

When I got my 1938 Dodge Brothers truck, it had been completely stripped and primered. I got the build card from Chrysler Historic which had the paint code on it. I wrote to them to ask what the paint codes meant, and they said they don't have that info any more. They did say the default color then was dark blue.

Pete

That's interesting Pete.  That might explain why the rims are dark blue.  Perhaps even though several colours were offered, the rims may all have been dark blue unless you chose to match them as an option.  Just a thought.  Or perhaps the rims are off another car.

I should add that Chrysler Historic said that dark blue was the default only for trucks. Car colors were not discussed. And all 1938 half ton through one ton trucks had ivory colored wheels, at least for the 16 inch size.

Peter